1st timer to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While on Cozumel... I say stay in-town and enjoy the best Coz has to offer topside. After 15 years of diving coz, I've priced everything every which way. The absolute best deal and dive op for us (Booked another 16 days in December for trip #5 with 3P's after many years of other combos) is a dive and stay package through Tres Pelicanos with Casa Mexicana CITY VIEW accommodations (NOT deluxe ocean view). Jeanie knows the best city view and deluxe ocean view rooms. The reality is there are select city view rooms that offer far better water views than 80% of the Deluxe Ocean View rooms that cost way more.

If ya want to save more $, stay at one of the sister hotels of the Casa Mexicana being the Suites Bahia or the Colonial Suites. They are both within a 5-10 min walk of the Casa where you still get the free massive breakfast buffet (ya just have to walk to it). Then, 3P's dive shop is right around the corner at the back of the block from the Casa for courtesy transport to the boats and back. You get 35 min to "stuffa-you-face" at that massive breakfast buffet before a short 5 min walk to 3P's shop for their 7:40 AM transport departure.

Your post is timely as I just responded to a post on the Casa Mexicana. I'll cut and paste it:

Agreed - Our last 4 years diving with 3P's in December Jeanie has delivered the same or better pricing than I could find anywhere. However, the biggest benefit of booking CM via a 3P's dive and stay package is Jeanie knows all of the best deluxe ocean view and standard city view rooms. 3P's clout with the CM enables them to request specific room #'s and those requests are usually if not always honored (You can't do that booking through a website and if you do try to enter a room request under "special needs" etc. it won't be honored as the CM doesn't "reserve" any rooms booked through the hotel websites - or its own site for that matter). That's not to say you can't request a specific room when you're checking in but there's no guarantee it will be available. If it's not you have to be willing to move mid-stay when it does become available.

Anyway, there are select standard city-view rooms that offer far better ocean views in my opinion than the more expensive deluxe ocean view rooms. Deluxe Ocean View rooms are not worth the higher price (in my opinion) unless you get the 5th floor rooms (501,502,503 and 504) 501 and 504 are the 2 best rooms in the place.

Last edited:
You get a HUGE favorable recommendation for Tres Pelicanos from me.
I left T.P. a voicemail yesterday but haven't heard back. Christi from Blue XT~Sea has already emailed me details and quotes. Haven't chosen one yet.

My girlfriend and I did the Cozumel/Isla Mujeres combo last November and our opinion of IM was that it is not nearly as nice as Cozumel, overall, but has some good points.

We may return to IM to see the whale sharks but mainly I wanted to see MUSA.
Good to know, thanks James. I've decided to do 6 days in Coz. 4 days of diving and 1 day to visit the Coba Ruins. Then 3 days in I.M., one day diving MUSA (Silent Evolution), and one Whale Shark trip. The rest of I.M. time will be snorkeling and/or the beach.

Anyway, there are select standard city-view rooms that offer far better ocean views in my opinion than the more expensive deluxe ocean view rooms. Deluxe Ocean View rooms are not worth the higher price (in my opinion) unless you get the 5th floor rooms (501,502,503 and 504) 501 and 504 are the 2 best rooms in the place.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure I'll be doing Casa Mexicana and a nice room. Regardless if I dive with 3P or Blue.

I left T.P. a voicemail yesterday but haven't heard back. Christi from Blue XT~Sea has already emailed me details and quotes. Haven't chosen one yet.

I'd suggest email. Jeannie is usually prompt on replies unless in transit.

I contacted her this morning about a quote for next year. 3 emails later and I am booked.

She is traveling from the States to Cozumel by car starting tomorrow but will still be available my email.

She is traveling from the States to Cozumel by car starting tomorrow but will still be available my email.
Thanks guys, I emailed Jeanie tonight and she already sent me some quotes.

Last edited:
I contacted her this morning about a quote for next year. 3 emails later and I am booked.

She does that often which is why I mentioned transit.

Christi made a good point on FB recently that it is a nightmare to try to coordinate reservations and answer questions when they come in a mish-mash combo of voice, text, whatsapp, messenger, and email. She wants it all via email and I suspect many others would highly prefer that as well due to the advantages of email for keeping track of things.

She does that often which is why I mentioned transit.

Christi made a good point on FB recently that it is a nightmare to try to coordinate reservations and answer questions when they come in a mish-mash combo of voice, text, whatsapp, messenger, and email. She wants it all via email and I suspect many others would highly prefer that as well due to the advantages of email for keeping track of things.

Thanks Todd! Yes, with so many platforms these days it gets pretty unmanageable when I'm fielding calls, texts, whatsap messages, scubaboard messages, and facebook messages - especially since I'm not sitting in the office all day - for example, if I'm driving or at the bank or running things to the pier, etc - I may see the message, but then trying to get back to it later is virtually impossible - with e-mail, things stay nice and clean and organized :) For that reason, I will only accept reservation requests by e-mail as well as any discussion of existing or future reservations. Clarification, I will take phone calls with questions as well, but any requests or changes, etc. regarding the reservation must also be in writing or this old brain can't keep up.

I give out my personal cell number to guests for check-in and to communicate with me while on the island during their trip for any needs during the trip :)

Update on my trip. I booked a week at Casa Mexicana, ocean view balcony, top (5th) floor, woot! Booked diving with Blue XT~Sea for two days, then booking Tres Pelicanos for two days. Going to either Coba or Tulum ruins for one day. Then moving on to Isla Mujeres for 3 days, incl. one dive day and one Whale Shark snorkel trip day. Might squeeze a cenote in there one day, dunno yet.

All my gear's up to snuff. Just got my refurbed Oceanic VTX computer back from Huish tech, looks like a brand new unit. Excited to try it out. Yes, I also have a Cressi Mini-2 console hooked up, so I'm covered even if the "new" computer loses A.I. connection like the old Aeris A300-CS did mid-dive, eek! Supposedly they know about the factory issue but the company will never admit it, lol. So fixed now.

Thanks to everyone that helped me plan this out and make some good choices. I'll be sure to report back on all of those things! :D

Update on my trip. I booked a week at Casa Mexicana, ocean view balcony, top (5th) floor, woot! Booked diving with Blue XT~Sea for two days, then booking Tres Pelicanos for two days. Going to either Coba or Tulum ruins for one day. Then moving on to Isla Mujeres for 3 days, incl. one dive day and one Whale Shark snorkel trip day. Might squeeze a cenote in there one day, dunno yet.

All my gear's up to snuff. Just got my refurbed Oceanic VTX computer back from Huish tech, looks like a brand new unit. Excited to try it out. (Yes I have a Cressi Mini-2 console so I'm covered even if the computer loses A.I. connection like the old Aeris A300-CS did).

Thanks to everyone that helped me plan this out and make some good choices. I'll be sure to report back on all of those things! :D
Now that that’s covered its time to think about the next favorite Cozumel subject. Food!

Cheap Eats

Cozumel Restaurant Magnum Opus Updated

New restaurants.

Best meal by Restaurant in Cozumel - updated

YAY! Sounds like a FUN trip :) Will be anxiously waiting for your trip report...please!

Back
Top Bottom