1st stage of regulator failed in close position - new diver freaking out a bit :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, would dropping weight would have worked? Not worried about minor injury --i am worried about breathing water. I prob took about 2 secs to realize that my oct would not help. I cannot imagine controlled ascent working from 75 feet.

Regarding the "most expensive regulator" --really, I am talking from a pure placebo effect :) But key being to have my stuff maintained properly --i keep thinking it was a maintenance issue. Really liking the idea of a pony bottle (but have some concerns about how to fly with it to remote destinations --need to look into this).

All of these opinions have been great. Looking to regain my confidence a bit and book my next dive!

So, would dropping weight would have worked? Not worried about minor injury --i am worried about breathing water. I prob took about 2 secs to realize that my oct would not help. I cannot imagine controlled ascent working from 75 feet.

Regarding the "most expensive regulator" --really, I am talking from a pure placebo effect :) But key being to have my stuff maintained properly --i keep thinking it was a maintenance issue. Really liking the idea of a pony bottle (but have some concerns about how to fly with it to remote destinations --need to look into this).

All of these opinions have been great. Looking to regain my confidence a bit and book my next dive!

Have you been listening? It had nothing to do with regulator maintenance. If you are going to continue to fly around and rent tanks, this same thing could happen again.

Really liking the idea of a pony bottle (but have some concerns about how to fly with it to remote destinations --need to look into this).

It is possible to fly with a pony but it is a bit of a hassle and weight is the biggest issue. In general smaller is better. I have travelled multiple times with a 13 cf Remember too that you will need to remove the valve.

Two things to consider, is it allowed on the airline and can I get fills when I arrive. Another option is to rent a tank at your destination, I have done this as well.

Have you been listening? It had nothing to do with regulator maintenance. If you are going to continue to fly around and rent tanks, this same thing could happen again.

I keep going to regulator because, once I ascended the gauge read 120 bar and second stage allowed me to breath again. Dive master said that if I stayed down for a another 2 minutes, it would have slowly re-pressurized and started working again. You really think it was a tank issue? The cylinder valve itself?

No, no... you need to read the thread. It had nothing to do with the valve itself and had nothing to do with the regulator - mostly likely, anyway.

I keep going to regulator because, once I ascended the gauge read 120 bar and second stage allowed me to breath again. Dive master said that if I stayed down for a another 2 minutes, it would have slowly re-pressurized and started working again. You really think it was a tank issue?

There is a very slight chance that the problem was the regulator. Most likely a valve that was not opened correctly.

There is a very slight chance that the problem was the regulator. Most likely a valve that was not opened correctly.

I guess what I am not understanding is the mechanics / physics to why a partly opened valve would work for 20 minutes, show 120 bar, then suddenly have zero pressure, then regain pressure during ascent (presumably due to time passing versus ascending and ambient pressure changing). sorry for the rookie questions...just looking to understand and regain confidence.

I guess what I am not understanding is the mechanics / physics to why a partly opened valve would work for 20 minutes, show 120 bar, then suddenly have zero pressure, then regain pressure during ascent (presumably due to time passing versus ascending and ambient pressure changing). sorry for the rookie questions...just looking to understand and regain confidence.
That's pretty straightforward. If the valve is only partially open, all the pressure in the tank is trying to move the gas through the partial opening. As the tank pressure decreases, you can get to a point where the tank pressure is insufficient to move the gas against the ambient pressure. As you ascend, the ambient pressure drops, and there is now enough gas pressure again to move the gas through the restricted opening.

You say in your post #10 that you checked the valve at the surface; how and when did you do that?

That's pretty straightforward. If the valve is only partially open, all the pressure in the tank is trying to move the gas through the partial opening. As the tank pressure decreases, you can get to a point where the tank pressure is insufficient to move the gas against the ambient pressure. As you ascend, the ambient pressure drops, and there is now enough gas pressure again to move the gas through the restricted opening.

You say in your post #10 that you checked the valve at the surface; how and when did you do that?

just gave it a twist; though, I was just checking for a binary on/off. Not sure I was vigilant enough to notice partially open/closed. i was still in a state of shock.

It was so sudden. I didn't feel a hard breath pull preceding it. I had thought that breath pull above water before the dive would reveal a partially closed valve with a pressure drop.

just gave it a twist; though, I was just checking for a binary on/off. Not sure I was vigilant enough to pick up on partially open/closed. i was still in a state of shock.
Perhaps I misunderstood; I thought you'd said you checked the valve before the dive.

NOTE ADDED after OP edited his response quoted above.
So did you, or not, breath the reg at the surface, before the dive, and watch the SPG needle?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom