1st stage of regulator failed in close position - new diver freaking out a bit :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my first thought when reading this, like the other instructors who posted in here that also have resort (read high volume) is the valve was most likely almost shut.

The possibility of an ACD failure... not many rental fleets would have ACD Aqualung regs as they cost more.. but I guess possible. The ability of an ACD to fail and shut off gas is a whole 'nother thread...

FYI, Came across this scenario described in the forums. Sounds like what happened to me...
The possibility of an ACD failure... not many rental fleets would have ACD Aqualung regs as they cost more.. but I guess possible. The ability of an ACD to fail and shut off gas is a whole 'nother thread...

Reading through the first several posts here.. I was thinking the whole time.. 'Was that an ACD first stage?"..

To the OP.. In any case, a more expensive reg is not a real solution. I suggest reading up on how regulators (and valves) work, and possibly sign up for the TDI reg service class.

I would not dream of owning or carrying a firearm that I could not field strip, clean and inspect. I am very glad there are now formal paths to follow, where you can learn how to maintain, service and trouble shoot scuba gear.

Your buddy was right where they should be. There is nothing I hate more than a "buddy" who spends the entire dive staring through the viewfinder of a camera while paying no attention to where you are. Macro photographers are the worst, they never ever look up.
This is why I:

1. Shoot WA rather than macro
  2. Don't get the really, really good shots since I always try to keep at least one eye out for my buddy rather than getting lost in my viewfinder

We've done this to death on another thread. The Aqualung ACD fails safe. i.e it cannot fail in such a way that is would stop the gas flow.

Agree top of the line is not always the answer, although I have top of the line, in my defence they were on sale so got a deal. Personally - because of where I live and where I dive (a lot of travel) I prefer a brand that can be serviced world wide easily

There has been a lot of talk about CESA's etc. People always say (fro behind a keyboard) that there is no problem kicking up to the surface from a shallow depth

I had an incident maybe 2 years ago at 23m (75') - I inhaled water through my reg which caused (although I didn't know the cause at the time) my epiglottis to shut - thus I couldn't breath.

Firstly there is nothing worse than still not being able to breath, having swapped regs and seeing 2 separate SPG's each showing above 150 bar.

My computer shows a vertical line with 2 ascent warnings from 23m to 10m where the spasm stopped and I could breath again - So 30 seconds ish depending on the sampling rate?

The kicking (with a balanced rig) from 23m to 10m seemed to take forever. The Surface seemed to get further away

Having your lungs tryign to breath while you kick hard with an elevated stress is a million miles away from a nice calm 25m underwater swim simulation, or CESA with an instructor. In both cases you know you can get access to air.

My buddy was close- but after going from my primary to my Pony then my Alt in a flash, there was no point faffing, I went vertical and my buddy (my wife) struggled to keep up.

Even though I had quick reactions, and went as fast as I could, I still wonder if I would have made that extra 10m to the surface. I know I was crossing he 1 ATA and pressure changes were on my side, I still hand on heart don't know if I would have made the surface.

This is why I:

1. Shoot WA rather than macro
  2. Don't get the really, really good shots since I always try to keep at least one eye out for my buddy rather than getting lost in my viewfinder

Want to really feel confident? Clip your buddy to you.

Want to really feel confident? Clip your buddy to you.
When I'm shooting, I'm generally more concerned about my own buddy awareness than my buddy's. It's quite possible that I'm spoiled WRT buddy quality.

When I'm shooting, I'm generally more concerned about my own buddy awareness than my buddy's. It's quite possible that I'm spoiled WRT buddy quality.

Easy enough. Give your buddy the pony and focus on good shots.

Back
Top Bottom