1st shots w/ SLR and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O'Malley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
again, no strobe!

OK, we just returned from Turks & Caicos (Provo) this past weekend where I decided to dive my Canon A620 the first day while getting aquainted with Caicos Adventures' procedures. I was shooting at 10-15' when my Ikelite DS125 (w/ EV manual controller) began to fire in rapid succession. I immediately powered down the strobe but that was all she wrote, the strobe would no longer power up yet the modeling light continued to work. I suspect the manual controller was sensing the sun's reflection at this shallow depth, triggering the strobe to fire repeatedly...just a guess, however. I did speak w/ Ikelite yesterday and they, too, were perplexed...the strobe had just been repaired a month earlier after experiencing this identical problem while in Cayman Brac in July.

Well, I did take my Nikon D80 w/ an 18-55mm lens and the Ikelite housing on all subsequent dives and not having the strobe certainly forced my hand a bit more quickly at learning the manual settings and thier application given the conditions. I found it difficult to manually set the white balance but I suspect not having a light source had something to do with the camera not being able to evaluate the subject/object.

I attempted to edit the photos with Capture NX software but they're awfully blue, I decided to pass on shooting RAW this trip. But here are a few of my keepers. The topside shots, however, came out nice...

DSC_05000001.JPG

T_C0001.JPG

DSC_04680001.JPG

T_C0001_1.JPG

Highly reccomend always shooting RAW underwater, you will have many more post processing options.

I really like the b&w ray picture. is the conch pic from the farm? my wife and I had a wonderful vacation in provo just before christmas.

Take care,
John

Sorry to hear of your strobe troubles.

I like the shot of the ray, and the first turtle shot.

In photoshop you maybe able to clean up the blue very nicely. You can use the channel mixer to add red. You may also just try and do a auto levels, and see where that puts you.

I'll parrot what others have said and say SHOOT RAW! :D

I realize on the D80 the buffering is not as fast when doing so, but UW I would think the D80 would perform well enough shooting RAW. I like to shoot RAW + JPG so I can preview shots easily as my laptop does not have Photoshop on it (may need to correct that!).

Hope Ikelite gets your strobe woes figured out.

Back
Top Bottom