1st PPD-DM (Dive Marathon)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good points, lolo Pao.

Personally, I believe the Dive and Trek environment is very forgiving - easy entries and exits, no significant current, usually decent vis, easy to navigate, etc. - so that dives can be safely planned, conducted and enjoyed with just the basic skills and knowledge gained from well taught OW/AOW courses, and not necessarily the high level of meticulous planning and precision execution associated with DIR. IMO everybody should strive to eventually be able to plan and execute dives without a DM, and D&T is a perfect place to learn that.

I'm much more concerned with the physiology. I think the planned 10 dives in one day, together with the concomitant short surface intervals, multiple ascents and descents, cold and fatigue, amount to pushing the limits, for which purpose the tables we use may not be designed nor thoroughly tested. I'm definitely not an expert, but it is often said that decompression is not an exact science, and I think that as we go towards the direction of the extreme, the inaccuracy of the tables is amplified and our individual physiological differences become more of a factor. One extreme example is deep record diver Mark Elyatt who IIRC used a certain deco software for dives to depths beyond which it has been tested, and is now blaming the proprietor after he got bent bad.

I'm sure Carlo as well as Chip can pull this off safely, they are physically fit, are used to diving more aggressively than most of us and most important of all, possess the knowledge and skills to plan the dives and to adhere strictly to the plan. Pao is correct when he advised other participants to get involved in planning the dives and not just tag along. I would just like to add that in planning, each one should take into consideration his/her own personal limitations and level of comfort. It is easy enough to plan 10 dives within the tables, but dont let that give anybody a false sense of total security.:wink:

i completely understand what the outcome would be without proper planning. And I'm also aware that I am responsible for my own safety, which is why I won't be pushing myself to go for more than 4 dives, even if I know I'm physically fit to do all these 10 dives. Decompression sickness can be a little tricky, and a dive computer does not read how much nitrogen bubbles I still have left in my veins. Thanks for all the concern. :)

Matthew:
Pao is correct when he advised other participants to get involved in planning the dives and not just tag along. I would just like to add that in planning, each one should take into consideration his/her own personal limitations and level of comfort. It is easy enough to plan 10 dives within the tables, but dont let that give anybody a false sense of total security.:wink:

well said matthew. like i said in the past, my dive plan was verified and approved by several decompression docs but was based on MY physiology and training. i even got myself checked into Makati med to get a Trans echo esophagea test to detect for PFO in heart but the tests turned out positive for me. i appreciate people coming along for the dives but i strongtly urge you to think about it and although the theoretical diveplan will work for some, it wil not work for all as everyones inherent physiology is different. what works for one might not work for others.

although im going to dive ten dives, i once again do not suggest you guys do so. maybe 4, 5 or even 6 if you can hadle it. later dives done at your personal discretion

Matthew:
I'm sure Carlo as well as Chip can pull this off safely, they are physically fit, are used to diving more aggressively than most of us and most important of all, possess the knowledge and skills to plan the dives and to adhere strictly to the plan. Pao is correct when he advised other participants to get involved in planning the dives and not just tag along. I would just like to add that in planning, each one should take into consideration his/her own personal limitations and level of comfort. It is easy enough to plan 10 dives within the tables, but dont let that give anybody a false sense of total security.:wink:

Thanks for the confidence Matt. :) I've still got a lot to learn, and I'll definitely heed the advice you, koya, and pao have offered.

Thanks for the constructive criticism guys. I just hope kevrumbo doesn't see this thread.... boy, are spoon et al. gonna get hell! heheheheh... :)

chip104:
Thanks for the confidence Matt. :) I've still got a lot to learn, and I'll definitely heed the advice you, koya, and pao have offered.

Thanks for the constructive criticism guys. I just hope kevrumbo doesn't see this thread.... boy, are spoon et al. gonna get hell! heheheheh... :)

hey chip, we have to look after our own...we're family (including chuch norris). My my that was a vicious roundhouse kick (PPD xmas pix thread)! Hmm maybe iris is going to get back at you with knockout punch. Hehehe duck!!!

Don't worry, "Lavabo" is nowhere to be found.

koya,

ayan ka nanaman ha.... na ngungutya ka nanaman... kasama din yun sa PPD, am sure he has good intentions and was just so passionate about it, he just failed to gain listeners to his point. na wrong words lang yun sa frustration nya . he really was just concerned about the safety of ...... ahhhhh my foolish group.....
hehehhehe

resurecction ata ito ha..... baka mayari pa thread ni spoon.... hehehhehe

Spoon:
based on MY physiology and training.

kitams .....

Spoon:
i even got myself checked into Makati med to get a Trans echo esophagea test to detect for PFO in heart but the tests turned out positive for me.

now that is preparing and going the extra mile to understand yourself and your sport.

Spoon:
i appreciate people coming along for the dives but i strongtly urge you to think about it and although the theoretical diveplan will work for some, it wil not work for all as everyones inherent physiology is different. what works for one might not work for others.

tama !

Spoon:
although im going to dive ten dives, i once again do not suggest you guys do so. maybe 4, 5 or even 6 if you can hadle it. later dives done at your personal discretion

but they were invited to join..... there would be some liability here "IF" for some reason someones' arteries gives a slip on a bubble or a pfo passes a bubble ....

and george would hate shallow dives after a deep. he'd rather go deeper on succeeding dives than a shallow dive after a deep dive... ofcourse with more than 50% O2 as deco gas....

to the tune of JAWS ... tun nun, tun nun, tun nun..........

paolov:
koya,

am sure he has good intentions and was just so passionate about it, he really was just concerned about the safety of ...... ahhhhh my foolish group.....
hehehhehe
tama pao. I'm sure if we all sat down and had the discussion over again the conversation would be more constructive. I try to post as I would if I were talking to you in person and not as if I have a keyboard & screen infront of me.

That's why I'll readily forum roundhouse kick any of you equally. :)

edit: changed it cause it sounded bad. no disrepect to anyone. mad love for the club.

Back
Top Bottom