1st Live-a-board, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I don’t know how good I would look in a sarong, but the wife has a couple. Ericj, I notice the lava shot, wonder if there is any chance to see lave pouring into the water from the boat? We went to Kona about 2yrs ago but spent so much time diving with Jack’s Dive Locker we didn’t do much touring. Does anyone know how long of a drive to the Volcano?

The first day you arrive at the island you should have made reservations for the helicopter ride ahead of time, then you could take the flight. Otherwise take a day off at the end of your vacation and take the helicopter. We arranged a flight ahead of time with a plane, but I wouldn't do that again, the helicopter makes more sense. We did see the volcano as well as red hot lava pouring out and down the side of the mountain. It's along ways around by car.

Fly then Dive,
Caymaniac

They keep people away from the area where the lava is pouring into the water because the fumes are hazardous, and boiling hot water splatters quite a distance.

We didn't do this, but many people go to the lava flows at night so they can really see it glow. Because it's so popular at night, parking looked really tight as we left in the late afternoon. I thought seeing it in the day was fine and less crowded too.

We did a land-based summit tour instead of a helicopter tour; I wish now we'd done the helicopter tour instead. Another couple we spoke to couldn't get a spot on the helicopter tour, so they took a plane tour. They said it was spectacular and was supposedly just as good as the helicopter tour because helicopters aren't allowed to hover (just what they heard; I can't say if it's true). The plane had a see-through bottom, too. Next time I'll be doing a helicopter or plane tour for sure.

The Aggressor never went near any lava when I was on it. I've heard that people have SCUBA dove near the lava flow, but I also heard that it is an extremely dangerous thing to do.

The Aggressor crew was top notch and focused on safety.

mjh:
Well I don’t know how good I would look in a sarong, but the wife has a couple. Ericj, I notice the lava shot, wonder if there is any chance to see lave pouring into the water from the boat? We went to Kona about 2yrs ago but spent so much time diving with Jack’s Dive Locker we didn’t do much touring. Does anyone know how long of a drive to the Volcano?
I don't recall how long it took us to drive to the Volcano national park from Kona. It was pretty much an all-day adventure though. I'm just guessing, but I think it took ninety minutes to get to the national park. It was a beautiful drive and well worth the trip.

Our friends recommend doing both the airplane or helicopter tour as well as seeing it on land. They said having seen it from the sky put the land visit in perspective.

Anyone know if there really is a difference between the plane and helicopter tours? I have no ideas; I'm just going on (previous post) what some friends told me.

We did a day trip from Kona, stopping in a few places along the way then doing the park. Late in the day we went to where the lava was flowing into the ocean at the time (this was 2002) and hiked out around dusk so we could see it in the dark, at the time you could do that. Very cool if you have the chance. (Hiking back in the dark over the lava was not fun even with the dive lights, could not believe the people I saw doing it in thong floppers or high heels!)

Also if they don't supply you with a "sausage" you might want to get one before you leave and maybe a whistle too. I've had an experience in Coz where I sure wish I had one and when we dove the outside of Molokini the DM had one and it still took a while before the boat noticed we were floating away.

"Liveaboards" an ultimate dive trip!

Caymaniac

mjh:
Well I don’t know how good I would look in a sarong, but the wife has a couple.
You'd probably look sensational in one :eyemouth: . They're hugely popular around our local beaches with the male surfers, bodyboarders and swimmers - quite de rigeur for Summer on Sydney's beaches, and regarded as unisex. Given that the men wear towels tied around their waists after they get out of the surf, it's not that much of a stretch.

Might earn a raised eyebrow or two on a liveaboard, but tell 'em that's how they do it in many of the South Pacific islands and in Oz. Just don't nick off with your wife's!

Thanks for all the tips. I think we will have to do the helicopter ride, our flight does not leave till 10pm Saturday.

caymaniac:
Also if they don't supply you with a "sausage" you might want to get one before you leave and maybe a whistle too. I've had an experience in Coz where I sure wish I had one and when we dove the outside of Molokini the DM had one and it still took a while before the boat noticed we were floating away.

"Liveaboards" an ultimate dive trip!

Caymaniac
I just got back from wandering around in my LDS drooling over new stuff and I bought myself a Dive Alert horn and a safety sausage, just in case. The clerk said that most of the liveaboards are requiring them now (could have been a LDS sales gimick), but not a bad idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom