1st Live-a-board, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, worked on liveaboards for five years and never wore shoes....
Kona can be any of the above in wave heights but January is a pretty flat time of year i believe. Most likely 2-3 feet if not flat calm
Captain will always try to find the most comfortable place anyway so don't worry about it. :crafty:

Got good sea legs, tough feet, and like to play the odds? Go barefoot.

First liveaboard, softer feet, don't want athletesfoot or nail fungus, want to be more careful about injury and infection far from physicians and in the middle of a dive trip? Pack the water shoes. Take little room & weight, cost $7 including the Goo to secure the insole, and I like 'em.

For more on saltwater related infections, see recent DAN article, and CDC - Vibrio bacteria, much bigger threat than usually thought.

Just did my first liveabaord on the Bay Islands Aggressor. I asked the same question on a different board and got these answers:

1. Plenty of batteries (rechargable if possible) for lgihts/cameras, etc.

2. As many bathing suits as you can, especially for women. there are health issues related to sitting around in a wet suit for a while.

3. As few clothes as you can get away with. I took three pairs of shorts and only used one pair all week.

4. A windbreaker. I had a chammyz top and it was perfect to keep the wind off.

5. If you plan on drinking a bit of the hard stuff, bring your own.

6. Any special first-aid stuff you may need. I wound up baing the onboard pharmacy for Advil and Tylenol to everyone on the boat.

And most importantly...

Bring a relaxed, good attitude. We had a pair on the boat that was super high maintenance and detracted from everyone else's vacation because they made things so difficult for the crew.

The Aggressor crews are pros and they will do everything possible to help you. If you have special needs, just let them know in advance.

Have a blast!

Even more great advice. Think we need to invest in some kind of wind breakers, wife gets cold in 70 degree sun. We have a ton of fleece wondering if there is something that cuts the wind and keeps you warm when material is wet? I have a lot of camera equip: 3 battery chargers, and a Flash-Trax unit I like to keep plugged in, should I bring a power-strip?

If you take dive vacations there is the inevitable “problem couple/s”. Bad buoyancy, poor on board habits, etc… The one that annoyed me the most was a fellow photographer, very experianced, who would wedge himself into the reef to “get his shot”. During one dive we found several seahorses. He was decimating the reef to take his pic, I started to go over but fortunately the DM got there first. He tried to get him to look up but the guy was just to “focused” to notice him. In the end he had to grab him by the tank and pull him off the reef. He cleaned up his act for about 2 dives then went back to his destructive ways. This guy is a published photographer and an Instructor. He was a nice guy but just oblivious to everything but getting his image. Thanks for letting me vent….

I can also get chilled in 70 degree weather. Take a look at these - http://store.yahoo.com/chammyz/products.html. I have the pullover and love it. Keeps the wind off and helps you dry off. They take up a little more room than a plasticky windbreaker, but it is worth it to me.

Bad divers can ruin a diving experience for anybody, but if you are on a liveaboard, you can't get away from them. It gets kind of interesting to watch a boat load of 18 people avoid 2 on a 140' boat...

About the power strip...

Our boat had ample places to plug in and recharge at the camera table. They didn't want you to plug in anything to recharge in the cabin in case of exploding batteries that could start a fire, etc. We had 2 professional and 6 amateur photogs on our trip and everyone had enough plugs for digital slr, digital video and all assorted accessories.

E-mail them ahead of time and ask just to be sure. I have found them to be really responsive before and after the trip.

As a former liveaboard worker i would suggest the powerstrip is a great idea. With so many people taking digital photos these days, there are a lot of rechargeable batteries charging all the time and you never know how many photogs will be on your trip.

Strips are light and easily portable these days, better to bring one than have to fight over outlets :wink:

Absolutely agreeing on the idea of needing less clothes than you think you do - when you're in and out of the water all day, nothing more than a t or shorts over bathers. I'm not the world's most minimalist packer when traveling, but have winnowed down most of my dive trip wardrobe to what I can fit in a backpack or the drypockets of a dive bag. I'm particularly fond of sarongs since I first picked up a very cheap one in Honiara before joining the Spirit of the Solomons, - I absolutely lived in that flimsy piece of cloth for the 10 day trip. Every now and then it would be a luxury to thoroughly shampoo and condition the hair and put on clean and dry shorts and a t-shirt for dinner if the night dive wasn't on, but otherwise it was various sets of swimmers and the sarong.

Having a few bathing suits is a good idea, as has been pointed out, as you find yourself spending so much time in them. It's good to have a rinsed and dried set to put on rather than wallow around in the same damp outfit in between dives.

Went on the Kona Aggressor in the summer of 2003.

I really can't add to the advice already given, although I never felt the need for ear plugs. I selpt like baby every night. I most definitely would bring two or three bathing suits.

When leaving, you'll need to be off the boat fairly early in the morning. If you have a late flight, rent a car and drive around checking out the sites.

Better yet, try to add some nights to your vacation. There's lots to see and do on the Big Island.

The sunset picture was taken from my cabin window.

Aloha!

Back
Top Bottom