1st Live-a-board, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Well we were looking for a quick trip (relative) so we just booked a week with the Kona Aggressor. Never have done a live aboard before, any adivce? Anyone dove this boat? How did you like it?

Live aboards can be quite fun.

o You'll wear less clothing than you think so don't overpack. You'll spend the most time in nothing but a bathing suit and t-shirt.
o Make sure to take a sweatshirt or sweat suit as some locations can get a bit chilly out on the water. Or in the air conditioned lounge.
o If you are taking books to read - consider taking paperbacks to leave behind for the crew.
o Booties can get funky after several repetetive dive days so stick some listerine or soap in 'em part way through the trip.
o Take enough film & batteries 'cause they can be quite expensive on board. Or go digital and rechargeable!
o If you have any food allergies, likes or dislikes, make sure to let the crew know well before the trip so you can be accommodated.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but do have a fun and safe trip!
Paula

if this is an anniversary of some sort, let them know. its the memories of the diving and the kindness of the crew that make up those happy memories, and want you to experience it all again at some point.
Dive Safe,
caymaniac

Don't go barefoot - dangerous! My fav boat shoe is a "Beach" or "Water" shoe from Walmart. Fast drying, good traction, good protection. Also buy a small tube of "Shoe Goo" in the same dept, and glue the insole in well. Take it for wet suit repair.

It be easier to answer your questions if your Profile and Dive Info were filled out. Use Quick Links above.

take ear plugs...If they move the boat at night, you'll be glad you took them.

Its a great boat. Lots of room, diving right off the back deck . The kitchen is open to the dining room so you can watch and interact with the chef. Its a very pro run operation. Go to the News section of the Aggressor website and there is a big note from a recent guest. You can also click on the Kona section and find weekly trip reports.

I've been on the boat and its great.

You may find the waters a little rough at times so bring some good meds.

We were on it in Mar. several years ago and had a great time. If they do turtle pinnacles--either get there first or wait till everyone else leaves. It is so awesome seeing the huge turtles just hanging around getting cleaned. Wish I had had a camera then. The water was pretty cool in Mar. so we needed the 3mil. I celebrated my 100 dive and made the mistake of telling people. The crew MADE me a cake--literally--when I came up from the dive they cracked eggs on my head, poured on sugar & flour-& nuts, I was a mess and worst of all no one got a photo.

Wow, thanks for the reviews, wish I could fast forward to January! Ear plugs are a great idea, would have never thougt of it and like the idea of the "water shoes" sometimes boats will only allow certain types of shoes on deck. When people say "rough" how big are we talking? 2-3' waves/rollers, +5', +7'??

I have been on 3 Aggressors and 2 of Peter Hughes boats. I have never worn any type of shoe on any of them. The decks are smooth, clean and easy on the feet. Paula is correct about the clothes. Pile everything you think you need to wear in the floor and get rid of half of the pile. I take about one fourth of what I took on the first live aboard trip. Do take extra film, batteries and sea sickness meds.
January? You are lucky! I have to wait until March for my trip to Bali.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom