19cf Pony, how much trim weight? and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadds

Registered
Reaction score
I did the search, but didn't see what lbs others use to counterbalance a 19cf, but more importantly the location of the weight.

Pardon the details, but it seems relevant.

I have ditched the zeagle and gone to a BPW setup. My old pony holder is a welded spike that slides into the tank bands. I always counterbalanced with 3 lbs mounted near the tank opposite the pony.
Yesterday I was trying dial my adjustments/weights in. On the second dive I raised my tank up higher than the first dive, this also raised my pony bottle,
I was struggling not to roll over even with the 3 lbs counterbalance!
A Very uncomfortable feeling when its that strong of a pull.

Well, with the SS diverite plate,steel 120, all gear (guns, stringer, lobster bag/tickler, and 3 pounds trim I am slightly overweighted. (it may be perfect as I don't always carry that much stuff at once)
So every pound will count. ( I guess I could switch to a AL plate, but then drysuit season comes)
So, yesterday I bought the pony tamer to get a bit more security and to help lower the pony bottle.
My question, what amount of weight and what location of the weight would best counterbalance a 19cf?

I just ran a tank strap thru 3 lbs, which was placed opposite the Pony tamer bracket.
Seems logical to put the weight just opposite the pony...right?

But, I thought if perhaps the weights were either mounted a bit further out from my center of gravity it would balance better. Something like mounting it to the back of my plate, or even my left hip (pony is on right rear side)
To make the exteme example if you placed the same 3 lbs on a 2 foot rod extending off the plate it would give a much greater force (larger moment arm from what I remember of physics 101)
Perhaps 2 lbs will do if I just lower the pony bottle some, and place the weight in the best place?
I don't even know where a horizontal divers center of gravity is, I would guess just between your head and your reg?

Is anyone following me?

I may just have to sling it, but with spear gun, lobster gear, reel, light, etc...it seems like something else to interfere?

Since you already have the BPW, have you thought about slinging the pony on your left side D-rings? It works very well and will probably eliminate your balance problems, as well as offer a few other advantages (easy to see first stage and valve, therefore making it easy to turn on and off and see small leaks)

edit: Missed your last line in the first read. Might want to toss a D-ring on your right side if you don't have one already, you can keep assorted gear like reel and lobster bag (hopefully not both on the same dive) there..

I have the d-rings, and that may be my best solution (or just use my 13cf)

What sling setup do you prefer Jonnythan?
Thanks
(some of the links to photos you find when searching have expired)

Thanks,
Sounds like I should try this, I am also trying to decrease drag.
Perhaps I can shed the 3 lbs also...
Time to return a pony tamer..........

For a 19CF pony, QuickDraw mount on my tank band, I counterbalance with a 2lb weight on the band, opposite side from the tank. I don't offset it -- the weight's in a pouch, right on the band.
(If you want to try a sling, go for it -- whatever works for you.)

Have you considered taking 3lbs off from the side that you`re putting the 19cf on?
For example, without pony, I`ll have six lbs on each side ( two 3lb soft weights on each
side ). When I sling the pony on the left side, I remove one of the 3lb weights from that
same left side. Works for me.

I only use a 13 cuft pony and counter weight it with a two pound weight carried on the belt on the opposite side of my body from the tank. My pony is at the very bottom end of my primary tank (with the pony valve down like fire fighters). I would assume 3# for a 19 cuft but placement of the weight is obviously dependent on how your gear is set up which we can't see.

Thanks all,
I decided to sling it, I have been placing beside the tank for about 6 years now, you think I would have figured out the weight thing by now!

I finished the sling yesterday, I will give a comparison report once the water calms down from the last Hurricane.

Reply to Trig, that was my previous solution....but after my streamlining efforts and a SS plate I wore only 3 lbs and was possibly a tad overweighted....that's what was making it difficult. If I start to leave weight on the boat then I have no ballast for the pony....
Thanks all

scubadds:
I may just have to sling it, but with spear gun, lobster gear, reel, light, etc...it seems like something else to interfere?

I can't imagine trying to spear with any degree of efficiency or safety with a slung bottle. Forget about bellying up to get a bug out of a hole as well. I wear mine backmounted because of the entanglement/hassle issues with the gun/stringer and other gear. If I really concentrate I have a slight list to the right with a 19 and no counterbalancing weight but I normally don't pay attention to it as it is not that noticeable or problematic.

Spearfishing is a different animal than tech and cave diving and the typical gear used in those situations can become hazardous in some instances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom