18L Steel Tank - advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the 120 works well for the taller folks, but i disagree it works nearly as well as a 100 for people of average height. the 149 is a heavy sob and i would rather dive a pair of lp72s than a single 149.

IMO : I think only (steel )tanks in Europe worth to look on to buy are ECS , and most of shops have them (special technical shops) and for ( alu ) Luxfer. (stages)

Faber is out. Faber you get in general or market stores (mares depo) and older stores with low
traffic or some old diving centers ;-)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red Sea - North Route until the Strait of Tiran.
Just twin 12L are available for rental.

I think in that case you got alu doubles not steel. ???

that mean double 10,6 lit @ 210 bar (AL80)
Scuba tank size and buoyancy calculator

Only thing you need is proper sized wing . You can sell single tank wing and buy double tank wing with STA ( single tank adapter ) . Both wings are almost same size
I have : DIRZONE single and
DIRZONE for twins

for twins is just in the middle more space

I think in that case you got alu doubles not steel. ???

that mean double 10,6 lit @ 210 bar (AL80)
Scuba tank size and buoyancy calculator

Only thing you need is proper sized wing . You can sell single tank wing and buy double tank wing with STA ( single tank adapter ) . Both wings are almost same size
I have : DIRZONE single and
DIRZONE for twins

for twins is just in the middle more space

They are indeed aluminium.

Are you suggesting that I should buy a new wing for a single liveaboard and start diving it there?

IMO : I think only (steel )tanks in Europe worth to look on to buy are ECS , and most of shops have them (special technical shops) and for ( alu ) Luxfer. (stages)

Faber is out. Faber you get in general or market stores (mares depo) and older stores with low
traffic or some old diving centers ;-)
Could you explain what - in your opinion - makes ECS better than Faber?
I just don't know, but may choose to buy some tanks in Europe within a year ... 18 months... And am thinking it won't hurt to get a better idea.

as far as tank weights go:
The Austrian made 18L Hesers weighed 23-23,5Kg empty without valves, nobody needs weights with them, and everybody who bought them 15 years ago has resold them - too heavy.
The 18L ECS tanks were weighing in around 22Kg, and for me also way too heavy.
The 18L Fabers at 18.9-19.1Kg were perfect for me and at one time I had 4 sets of double 18 Fabers - great tanks that worked perfectly with drysuit, Diverite Classic Wing, backplate, 2L steel argon tank and 2 AL80 stages.
Now being older, weaker and with a back that I've broken once, I dive rebreathers.

Michael

as far as tank weights go:
The Austrian made 18L Hesers weighed 23-23,5Kg empty without valves, nobody needs weights with them, and everybody who bought them 15 years ago has resold them - too heavy.
The 18L ECS tanks were weighing in around 22Kg, and for me also way too heavy.
The 18L Fabers at 18.9-19.1Kg were perfect for me and at one time I had 4 sets of double 18 Fabers - great tanks that worked perfectly with drysuit, Diverite Classic Wing, backplate, 2L steel argon tank and 2 AL80 stages.
Now being older, weaker and with a back that I've broken once, I dive rebreathers.

Michael
Liking the reply, not the broken back...

Could you explain what - in your opinion - makes ECS better than Faber?
I'd like to hear that, too. I have a few Faber 10L and I'm quite happy with them. So are quite a few of my single tank diving buddies.

Most of my buddies using twins have Eurocylinders, though.

Ok, maybe I was exaggerating, but before ECS I used 5 Faber tanks between 15 liters and 18 liters and they were all different, differently buoyant and nasty (rolling), but it's true that they were older. The second dive was especially nasty because you had to re-rig, add some weight
and if you look on table UK Scuba - Cylinder Buoyancy Calculation you see these differences

I have 19,3 kg Faber 18 lit and two 15 lit ...17 kg

BUT..... ECS twins concave are bottom heavy for 1 kg ...I just put them on and the love was instant ( long , back heavy , slim) 1 type same properties

if buddies don't dive 12's , I took 8,5 lit

@David Novo
''They are indeed aluminium.
Are you suggesting that I should buy a new wing for a single liveaboard and start diving it there? ''

Simple , elegant solution , yes. If you need doubles just put them on , if you want use single tank , just put between STA.

You could just borrow it ?!

Ok, maybe I was exaggerating, but before ECS I used 5 Faber tanks between 15 liters and 18 liters and they were all different, differently buoyant and nasty (rolling), but it's true that they were older. The second dive was especially nasty because you had to re-rig, add some weight
and if you look on table UK Scuba - Cylinder Buoyancy Calculation you see these differences

I have 19,3 kg Faber 18 lit and two 15 lit ...17 kg

BUT..... ECS twins concave are bottom heavy for 1 kg ...I just put them on and the love was instant ( long , back heavy , slim) 1 type same properties

if buddies don't dive 12's , I took 8,5 lit
ECS tanks seem to not be in the table you linked to. Can you post a link to the manufacturer, better yet, to their tank data?

Back
Top Bottom