%16 scuba tax in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MOST Coz operators include it in the listed prices.

Of the 37 dive ops that I researched, only 11 included the tax in their listed prices, although several indicate that the 16% tax has to be added in. Others ops may include it but they don't indicate whether they do or not on their websites.

EDIT: Actually only 10 stated that taxes were included on their websites - I found out about the 11th later, but it isn't stated on their website.

The one that I used, when the tax was added made it one of the more expensive dive companies.

A main reason I put together a spreadsheet of Coz dive ops, posted in another thread was to compare costs.
I wouldn't want to get the same surprise you got!

Finding a (Best) Dive Op in Cozumel (post 31 has the latest update of the spreadsheet - will post update again in a week or so)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some off-topic and over-the-top inflammatory posts have been removed. Some borderline posts were left but could go upon further discussion by the moderation team. Please remember the forum you are in...if it's not about Cozumel, it's in the wrong forum. If you want to bitch about what you pay for taxes elsewhere, you are in the wrong forum. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Interesting, the moderator censored one of my replies to my own thread. So much for the free open exchange of ideas and information. Complaining is banned on scuba board. In summary, don’t do business with Cozumel or any other companies that don’t include tax in the price listed online. It’s borderline bait and switch and makes it harder to compare Apples to apples. Then they complain about the other companies that don’t say tax is included.

neither are PC, but yours doesnt not require the naming of the body part, so...

1. On the bright side, your OP maybe be lying on some or all of the tax, so you might NOT be paying any tax after all.

But you nailed it.
You are lying by claiming I’m lying. I have the pdf invoices by email listing tax. And the email complaining that other companies don’t explicitly state they are taxing. Which they aren’t if you pay cash.

Never have I heard of or experienced in my 20+ experiences being required to buy all the empty seats in a shuttle. Sounds like you are buying a cheap colectivo ticket then expecting the driver to go immediately when you get into the van. If you want private shuttle service you have to buy a private shuttle ticket. The colectivos are shared vans based on filling as many seats as possible which means they may wait about 10 minutes or so but at some point they close the doors and go with what they have. There have been a few times where they left with just us as the only two passengers.

I've never put a timer on it but my gut says the wait has never exceeded 15 minutes. Hint: it ranges from 0.25 to 1 beers. Additional hint: there is a little bar by the shuttles to help you chill.
No what I expect is a verbal and witten agreement in a receipt to be kept and not to be shaken down and extorted by a criminal airport monopoly after buying tickets . “My country my rules” is the motto of a thief. If you want to be blackmailed and pay $25 for a ten minute ride that would cost $5 elsewhere in Mexico, feel free. You’re welcome .

Well, congress did pass one a few years back forcing airlines to price more complete plane tickets, but some hotels are ridiculous in the way they spring a big resort fee on you after shopping. Those fares you listed are booking months in advance or the cheapest weeks of the year. Cheaper to fly to mainland Honduras and take the ferry and probably even taken a small plane mainland to roatan.

Put me in the "I've never seen that" camp. How did you arrive at a time no one else did?

No surprise there. The same is true wherever one travels.

You can do that. That was my first international destination, the time we got stuck when the skies closed after 9-11-01. I've been back a few times tho and going again next month, but it's day & night different.

Getting to either from San Diego is a challenge I know with overnight flights almost a given, you have good cold water diving to enjoy up and down your own coast, but as far as fares go - Roatan costs a lot more than Coz, and it you insist on traveling less than 12 hours each way then you'll pay even more for either. I gripe that I have to pay more than anyone else from the Texas panhandle, but if I want to go, then I pay & go.View attachment 663630 View attachment 663631 View attachment 663633

No what I expect is a verbal and witten agreement in a receipt to be kept and not to be shaken down and extorted by a criminal airport monopoly after buying tickets . “My country my rules” is the motto of a thief. If you want to be blackmailed and pay $25 for a ten minute ride that would cost $5 elsewhere in Mexico, feel free. You’re welcome .
What we are saying is that we have never heard of anyone having to pay for unoccupied seats on a shuttle leaving the Cozumel airport. I cannot say that it has never happened, but what I can say is that I have been through the Cozumel airport dozens of times and I have never seen or heard of such a thing. Are you saying that it happened to you or that you are just afraid it might happen?

i have never understood why some businesses find it so hard to understand that a consumer needs to see a TOTAL price that clearly includes all costs.

this idea that some quote XX and then when you arrive tell you.... "oh btw, there is an extra XX on top"..... is not only unethical, but can be criminal in some areas i would think.

i have had cases where several emails have been exchanged where i clearly ask in large bold print for the "total cost including all taxes and fees", only to find out when completing the reservation that there was some type of tax added. wth !!

there are some good sites that are upfront about all the costs so when you search, and you will clearly see everything.

but then there are some where they only show the "base rate" (if we can call it that) and then you see the total cost with all the fees after you try to make the reservation. this is extremely annoying when you try to filter search results by price because the list is clearly not in order of TOTAL price, which it should be.

i agree with loady that if any business actively tries to hide some of the costs in order to trick you into thinking they are cheaper, they should be called out on it and should be avoided. but i think most do not try to be deceptive. they just have different ways of doing things. this is why i always try to get all quotes in writing.

If you say so, but I have never heard of that happening. If you bought tix from a "shuttle boss" you bought them differently than I have; I get them at a window in the airport departure area, and the people in those windows are not bosses. The shuttles combine destinations, so I don't see how there could not be enough passengers for a given shuttle unless maybe you came in on a tiny plane when there were no other arrivals.

But at any rate, I have been through the arrival process in the Cozumel airport dozens of times and I have never seen what you are describing. I can't say that it never happened, but at the very least it would have been a very unusual situation.

EDIT: As Reefhound said, maybe if you demanded that the shuttle leave immediately without waiting for more passengers they would tell you that they would only do that if you bought the remaining empty seats.
What’s with the sympathy with the taxi Union? Friends of yours? Do you need video of the guy refusing the ride without more money? Do you have Stockholm syndrome and empathize and sympathize with your captor? Both of us will sign written sworn statements that our shuttle tickets bought at the airport from one of the two monopolies were not honored and the choice given was pay a lot more then was agreed to or walk. So money was refunded, we walked 100 yards and got a “normal” priced taxi. Also, no where else is a cab charged per person . It’s always the same price for the whole cab.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom