%16 scuba tax in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I used two different dive boat companies in Cozumel . One charged a 16% tax and one didn’t. Is this required and legal? Do many or most dive operators in Coz charge that? Is it just on non cash purchases or all purchases in Cozumel, Quinta Roo , Mexico or what? It really hikes the price of diving. There wasn’t a lot of choice in availability for where and when I needed to be picked up . That’s why I used this company.

I used two different dive boat companies in Cozumel . One charged a 16% tax and one didn’t. Is this required and legal? Do many or most dive operators in Coz charge that? Is it just on non cash purchases or all purchases in Cozumel, Quinta Roo , Mexico or what? It really hikes the price of diving. There wasn’t a lot of choice in availability for where and when I needed to be picked up . That’s why I used this company.

I can't speak about Cozumel, but we didn't pay this when we dove in Akumal in February. So I'd say it's not all of Quintana Roo.

The VAT tax is 16% on basically everything in QRoo

I would say that one charged it on top of the price.

The other either included in the price or didn't collect it....

The VAT tax is 16% on basically everything in QRoo

I would say that one charged it on top of the price.

The other either included in the price or didn't collect it....

Ahhhh....that makes sense. The way I read the title, I thought the OP was talking about an additional recreation tax of some sort.

For dive companies in Cozumel is the 16% VAT usually included or added on top of? What about general non dive purchases? It makes a big difference on multi day packages .

Not lawful to state the price without the tax included.

Reactions: JFS

It’s sales tax - its 16% in Mexico and it applies to all goods and services. Lodging is actually even more - its 19%. Some businesses include it in the price, others break it down so that you know how much you’re paying for the dives and how much you’re paying to the government. As long as it’s disclosed, it’s 100% legal and required by law - businesses are basically tax collectors for the government.
You’re from California you should be used to high taxes.

Not lawful to state the price without the tax included.

incorrect - it must be disclosed and quoted in advance - it is not against the law to break out the tax separately as long as it’s disclosed up
Front that it will
Be added.

It’s sales tax - its 16% in Mexico and it applies to all goods and services. Lodging is actually even more - its 19%. Some businesses include it in the price, others break it down so that you know how much you’re paying for the dives and how much you’re paying to the government. As long as it’s disclosed, it’s 100% legal and required by law - businesses are basically tax collectors for the government.
You’re from California you should be used to high taxes.

Hi Christi,

Hope you are staying warm up north. You probably were not aware but I've dabbled into a new venture down here - a brewery. Tax on alcohol is even worse than hotels at 19%. I have to pay 26.5% tax on the beer as I make it, then an additional 16% tax when I sell it. Yes, my beer price is 42.5% Mexico tax.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom