$15,000 Florida Lobster Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the lobsters taken around here come out of the shallows - during mini-season, boats of 4 were limiting out with 48 bugs in no more than 25'. I can't use that many lobsters, plus I get bored diving shallow so I don't bother.
I could care less if I get any lobster on a dive - I just need one for my cat, but I like depths of 75' to 145' because it helps squeeze me back together. During the colder months, that first giant total body squeeze in the drysuit while gliding to the bottom is nirvana. Sheer bliss.
For this contest, I couldn't see too many people heading south from Jupiter. That big one is up north.
Many years ago, I was talking with an old retired UDT who related that when he was diving off Vieques and Culebra Islands off Puerto Rico in the early '60's, some of the frogs came upon a giant lobster.
They looked at it, and then shot it. No measurements, but the guy said that the body came up to past mid-thigh from the ground. They speared it because none of the guys wanted to even try grabbing it. Plus I guess they were hungry.

I concur on shallow diving. I gotta have an adrenalin rush to make things interesting. 75'+ works for me....Microdiscectomy L-5 three years ago at UM...

The guy who caught the 16 lb lobster in 10 fsw a few weeks ago I'm sure had a huge adrenalin rush. I am still waiting for him to bring it by the shop for us to take a picture of it.

Offer him a few free fills. Look forward to the shots. Thanks!

Valhalla-- I have heard the Nuke re-off rumors but I am not buying that as much as some of the other factors I have seen.

The Indian River Lagoon is a HUGE pool of yummy critters from the very small to the large. The tidal flow is significant and all that stuff runs out of the inlet and then north. All the cirtters do well in this area. Hogfish, Snook, Cobiha, Mahi, Lobster, Bullsharks..etc.

I believe it has to do with food source.

Valhalla-- I have heard the Nuke re-off rumors but I am not buying that as much as some of the other factors I have seen.

The Indian River Lagoon is a HUGE pool of yummy critters from the very small to the large. The tidal flow is significant and all that stuff runs out of the inlet and then north. All the cirtters do well in this area. Hogfish, Snook, Cobiha, Mahi, Lobster, Bullsharks..etc.

I believe it has to do with food source.

Completely tonuge in cheek...I will PM tomorrow of some nice shots of Hogfish acquired today...

When you say "shots of hogfish"? Fillets or Jpegs?
Posted via Mobile Device

I was doing some work out on George's Bank a month or so ago and we pulled up a lobster that weighed 23lbs.

I hear someone is now a proud young father at Scubaworks. Congratulations!

Valhalla..... Thanks..... here is Summer Kia Eaton 8 lbs 2 oz Born Saturday night at 9:42. Baby is perfect in every way!

Attachments

• Summer Kai Born 9-12-09 018.jpg
    Summer Kai Born 9-12-09 018.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 64
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom