$15,000 Florida Lobster Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Largest Lobster Prizes

1st Place: $ 1000.00 CASH

2nd Place: $ 500.00 Scuba Works Bucks

3rd Place: $ 250.00 Scuba Works Bucks

Question - Are the Scuba Works Bucks redeemable at Cheatas or Rachels?

Boundries?
I'll make a run up to N.C...........them's some BIG @ss lobstahs up there.......:wink:

I spent about an hour on google in the search for the largest Caribbean spiny on record and nothing was to be found. Found a few stories and one was about a guy losing a finger by getting it mixed up in the tail end of a giant bug. The thought of wrestling a 16 pounder has been turning in my head since the start of this thread. I must say I would have to seriously consider wrestling a beast of that magnitude. That is if I could get my eye balls reinserted and the reg out of the back of my throat. I can't even fathom looking under a ledge and seeing a beast like that. Kinda makes me wonder if the lobster in that class have their own bag the biggest diver contest.....=P

Boundries?
I'll make a run up to N.C...........them's some BIG @ss lobstahs up there.......:wink:

They should clarify the species as well

Here are the rest of the info and rules. Must be a Florida Lobster and caught in Florida.

2009 F.L.C. Rules

1. All contestants must be registered with the tournament prior to 10am on Saturday October 17th.

2. Competition begins at 12:01a.m. on Saturday, October 17th, 2009 and will continue until 2:00 p.m. Sunday, October 18th, 2009. Lobsters may only be caught during these dates and times.

3. All lobsters must be caught within the waters governed by the State of Florida and State of Florida, “Spiny Lobster Sport Season.”

4. All lobsters must be caught in Accordance to all State and Federal rules and regulations as well as those of the State of Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission for Spiny Lobster Season. It is unlawful to catch egg bearing females, if any lobster shows ANY signs of having eggs removed the lobster WILL NOT BE WEIGHED and will be reported to Florida Marine Patrol.

5. Any winning lobsters are subject to an autopsy. Any attempt to defraud or cheat will disqualify the contestant and his or her entry. All decisions of the weigh-master, tournament director are final.

6. All lobsters to be weighed must be alive, Dead lobsters will not be weighed.

7. All contestants must have a valid Florida saltwater fishing license and a Crawfish (lobster) Stamp, and must carry a lobster-measuring device at all times while diving.

8. All lobsters weighed in will be returned back to you, so you can eat them another day.

9. Diving beyond no-decompression limits is prohibited in the tournament. Any diver known to have exceeded the 130 foot recreational limit or to have made a planed decompression dive will be disqualified from the tournament.

10. Contestants must: Be a certified diver with at least five ocean dives logged and follow safe diving practices at all times, plus adhere to these rules at all time.

11. All winners must be present at the time of the awards presentation or have notified the tournament director in advance of a representative to accept the prize on their behalf.

12. Any contestants not abiding to all of the above rules will be disqualified.

13. The SCUBA Works $15,000.00 Florida Lobster Challenge reserves the rights to add to and/or change these rules at any time.

Awards Cookout

There will be an awards cookout on October 18th 2009 beginning at 2:00 pm at Scuba Works. The cookout is included with contestant entry, additional guest meal tickets will be $10.00 each, and can be purchased at the registration table.

According to the report, this bug (which looks big enough) is a mere 11 lb tiddler:

lobster.jpg

Giant spiny lobster, wrested from island cave, gets new home at Monterey Bay Aquarium | Outposts | Los Angeles Times

I could be wrong but the same sized lobster in Florida is going to be more difficult to wrestle given the warmer waters...

So imagine one 60% bigger...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom