$15,000 Florida Lobster Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old fashioned British charm.

Seriously - I have always slightly wondered if people "do it differently" in foreign countries (like Florida). I wouldn't want to turn up on a Florida lobster hunt and be laughed at. Down here we just use a length of PVC pipe with a 12 gauge wire lasso on the end. Works well enough but it does take a while to grab them whilst they are whizzing around on the far end of the wire after you pull them out.

In the US it seems people use slightly more sophisticated tools:

IS-GM-0110-2.jpg

The green snares work great for a lobsters that are up to 5 to 6 lbs but anything bigger than that can tricky.

Old fashioned British charm.

Seriously - I have always slightly wondered if people "do it differently" in foreign countries (like Florida). I wouldn't want to turn up on a Florida lobster hunt and be laughed at. Down here we just use a length of PVC pipe with a 12 gauge wire lasso on the end. Works well enough but it does take a while to grab them whilst they are whizzing around on the far end of the wire after you pull them out.

In the US it seems people use slightly more sophisticated tools:

IS-GM-0110-2.jpg

The instrument you describe is what most commercial lobster divers around here fabricate themselves. They seem to prefer the lasso drawing closed from only one end. Less movement for the bug to detect before it is too late...So you are not too unsophisticated down there after all...

I use a homemade pvc/steel cable snare, works great and it only cost $7.

Of course I have only caught (or have seen for that matter) bugs up to 3lb.

dtjimmy77-- if you get the chance to come to Fort Pierce... watch for wind from the west 2' or less and maybe the vis will be good enough for 8#ers. It has been good all week hope to go this weekend.. will post pics is sucessful.

Are you running the 10k 16# challenge every week now?

Not every week. Only once a year and just wanted to remind everyone that this is the last week to sign up for the FLorida Lobster Challenge on October 17 & 18. $1,000 cash to the largest lobster and if someone does happen to catch a 16lb lobster the prize is $15,000.

OOOOoooo I'd love to see you pay that 15k out!! --

I am now a believer in 16 lb spiny lobsters. Sadly, I could not persuade the monster I saw yesterday to come home with me, but if he was less than 16 lbs, it certainly wasn't by much.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom