120 with pony VS Dual alum 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pants!:
You're telling all of these people, who have FAR more training and experience than you, that they're yahoos and need more formal training?

Um... what??

If that is how you understand it? Then you would be right. I find it amazing that someone that has done something a 1000 times, and doesn't know if they are doing it right or wrong, but thinks they are right only becasue they did it a 1000 times. Experience doesn't make you right, smarter, or better. It only makes you experienced.

REC DIVER, I dive a HP120 and I use a pony to propel me to the surface at 100ft/min, is this bad. I like to clear the water surface and let my jets hit the water with a clap sound when I land?

Rec Diver:
My point concerning yahoos: Is for those individuals that think a pony bottle should not be used a part of the gas plan. You yahoos need more training as well.

Give a reason why you are right and we are wrong. We all gave evidence and reason, you have done nothing but call us 'yahoos'. I am truely interested in your logic, please explain.

Rec Diver:
...but thinks they are right only becasue they did it a 1000 times. Experience doesn't make you right, smarter, or better. It only makes you experienced.
If they did it right 1000 times and survived all 1000 times, it would suggest that whatever they were doing was successful. I'll bet they learned a thing or two along the way, also.

There may be many ways to skin a cat, but some of them generally wind up being more effective and efficient. Not to mention safer. These are "doing it right".

The others might also work, but less safely, effectively, or efficiently. These are "stroketastic".

I think somebody was right about some folks being obvious...

Option #1 on your invite, and good luck with your diving.

teknitroxdiver:
Give a reason why you are right and we are wrong. We all gave evidence and reason, you have done nothing but call us 'yahoos'. I am truely interested in your logic, please explain.

I have been fortunate enough to be hooked up with a LDS that not only teaches, but also promotes TEC diving. These are people that regularly dive 200 to 250 feet. If you can get together with some people like this, that are not afraid to talk and teach you how to do these types of dives, and utilize different than the norm equipment set up. I believe you will have an eye opening experience. It has been for me. I was certified SSI, but the LDS did not have a clue, and yes they all had more dives than I. Imagine an individual showing the instructor the proper tecnique for clearing a mask with a purge. I always use a pony bottle when diving. On dives below 100 feet the pony bottle contains 40% oxygen. This for my deco stops to help off gas. Re-read your gas charts. Claculate your air consumtion rate and start putting it all together. With a 6 minute deco stop at 10 feet you can add 10 minutes to your bottom time at 140 feet. This may not be important to you but it was to me this past weekend. I wanted the extra 10 minutes. I don't know if this helps you to understand. Pony bottles can be utilized for many different purposes, not just as redundancy. Educate don't stipulate!

Rec Diver:
I have been fortunate enough to be hooked up with a LDS that not only teaches, but also promotes TEC diving. These are people that regularly dive 200 to 250 feet. If you can get together with some people like this, that are not afraid to talk and teach you how to do these types of dives, and utilize different than the norm equipment set up. I believe you will have an eye opening experience. It has been for me. I was certified SSI, but the LDS did not have a clue, and yes they all had more dives than I. Imagine an individual showing the instructor the proper tecnique for clearing a mask with a purge. I always use a pony bottle when diving. On dives below 100 feet the pony bottle contains 40% oxygen. This for my deco stops to help off gas. Re-read your gas charts. Claculate your air consumtion rate and start putting it all together. With a 6 minute deco stop at 10 feet you can add 10 minutes to your bottom time at 140 feet. This may not be important to you but it was to me this past weekend. I wanted the extra 10 minutes. I don't know if this helps you to understand. Pony bottles can be utilized for many different purposes, not just as redundancy. Educate don't stipulate!
Okay, that's not a 'pony bottle' in the sense it has been used recently. That is a deco bottle. You PLAN to use that gas, so it is in your gas planning.

Apples/oranges.

teknitroxdiver:
Okay, that's not a 'pony bottle' in the sense it has been used recently. That is a deco bottle. You PLAN to use that gas, so it is in your gas planning.

Apples/oranges.

That is correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom