120 with pony VS Dual alum 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a point, or are you just here trolling and ranting that its safe to do staged decompression or extended bottom times without some sort of mentoring and/or training?

Rec Diver:
What is garbage is your statement that a pony bottle should NOT be designed for use in the gas consumption plan.
It's not garbage. If you were listening you would know that by now. Do you know what a gas plan is? It's what gas you PLAN TO USE if all GOES AS PLANNED. You do not plan to use the gas in your pony bottle, as it is there for emergencies only. Therefore, you don't factor it into the gas plan because if all GOES AS PLANNED, it'll still be in the bottle when you get back on the boat.

JimC:
Do you have a point, or are you just here trolling and ranting that its safe to do staged decompression or extended bottom times without some sort of mentoring and/or training?

His point is he's a legend in his own mind. I find it funny when these new divers who take a class or two think they can play internet dive instructor and argue with more experienced divers. Everyone here is telling the guy he has a booger on his face, but he's not listening because he won't take a look in the mirror.

JimC:

My point is: Provide advice when you can, but don't scare someone into thinking something can not be done because you can not do it. Scuba diving has been a very enjoyable experience for me, why not try to make it enjoyable for everyone. The person that began this thread asked, what I would consider an important question. Instead of helping him with, or finding, an answer. He was told not to do it and that bad things will happen if he does. This is simply untrue. Bad things do not happen when using a pony bottle as part of your gas plan. I agree the individual needs more training. But, before he could get started he was already being told he shopuld not. I don't believe that is very encouraging.

My point concerning yahoos: Is for those individuals that think a pony bottle should not be used a part of the gas plan. You yahoos need more training as well.

Rec Diver:
What is garbage is your statement that a pony bottle should NOT be designed for use in the gas consumption plan.
My point concerning yahoos: Is for those individuals that think a pony bottle should not be used a part of the gas plan. You yahoos need more training as well.
The other guys have said it better than I did, perhaps, but it isn't garbage:

If you're taking down a stage or deco bottle, you plan to use the gas inside the bottle.

If you're taking down a bail-out bottle, as teknitroxdiver said, you DON'T plan to use the gas inside the bottle, unless an emergency occurs.

The term "pony bottle" is pretty useless, because different divers mean different things when they use the term.

Our collective advice to the thread-starter was to get some additional training before simply taking a bottle down, particularly a bottle with a mix inside it where the MOD of the mix is shallower than your dive depth. If he mistakenly goes onto EAN40 below its MOD, he could oxtox.

That's why it isn't garbage to be precise about what the gas you're taking down is to be used for in your gas plan.

Not sure why you're getting so aggressive over it... :confused:

Rec Diver:
He was told not to do it and that bad things will happen if he does. This is simply untrue. Bad things do not happen when using a pony bottle as part of your gas plan. My point concerning yahoos: Is for those individuals that think a pony bottle should not be used a part of the gas plan. You yahoos need more training as well.

You are so wrong! I'll see if I can find the thread.

Rec Diver:
You're telling all of these people, who have FAR more training and experience than you, that they're yahoos and need more formal training?

Um... what??

boomx5:
His point is he's a legend in his own mind. I find it funny when these new divers who take a class or two think they can play internet dive instructor and argue with more experienced divers. Everyone here is telling the guy he has a booger on his face, but he's not listening because he won't take a look in the mirror.

I just absolutely love "know it alls". My invitation to dive is open to you as well. But bring your own mirror, I am not in the habit of wiping your snotty nose like your mother does.

Rec Diver:
I just absolutely love "know it alls".
Too funny.

Kettle meet Pot
Rec Diver:
My invitation to dive is open to you as well. But bring your own mirror, I am not in the habit of wiping your snotty nose like your mother does.
My guess is that he would rule #1 you as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom