120 with pony VS Dual alum 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And like I said in the winter you can find Naui Tec classes intro to Tec is good and DIR-F is great. I leaned to dive doubles in Oki and there are groups of folks that do that. I also recomend the NAUI Master Scuba Diver class as the test ts a pre req for thier Tec class anyways. You can do it Being in Oki is definetly no excuse to take short cuts.

Also stop taking advice from whoever sold you one the Tusa BC.

Well now your considering doubles, and that BC wont help you will it? I just think they could have pointed you to something your not going to ourgrow. Instead of just "what the shop is trying to push" Hell a knighthawk would be nicer than that.

DTB1981:
I am looking to get some longer bottom time and want to know the pros/cons of going with a HP steel 120 with 30 pony VS going to doublel alum 80’s. As far a price goes they will be close. I don’t want to go as far as getting a new BC or Back plate wing. I want to try and do it with mostly the gear that I have. I dive in a tropical climate and wear a 2mm sortie wet suit or a 3/2 mm full and 90% of my dives are from the shore so weight matters. I have two BC’s a Tusa Imprex Pro 3D and an older Sherwood Outback, The Outback can be set up for duel tanks with out any modifications. I have three sets of regs so there are no problems there. Except they are all yoke and at least one will need to be converted to DIN. So what the would be the big differences between the two I will be running 150 to 160 CF both ways and can ad a extra pony to either one for a deco bottle.

Thanks in advance
Derrick

I dive with a 100 cubic foot single aluminum tank and a 30 cubic foot pony. I have been diving this way since my open water certification. On dives less than 100 feet I use the pony for a redundant air supply, and on dives over 100 feet I use the pony bottle for a deco stop with a 40% oxygen fill. Don't let these yahoos scare you away from wanting to advance your education. A class that may be of help for you would be Padi's Tec Deep Diving and Andvanced Nitrox. Always plan your dive and dive your plan! Happy diving.

Rec Diver:
Don't let these yahoos scare you away from wanting to advance your education.
I think you got that backwards.

Rec Diver:
What would that be?
I think most people were saying get some more education before advancing his diving.

The yahoos are trying to suggest that MORE education, not less, would be a good thing before one makes decisions about going deep with either doubles or bail-out bottles filled with various nitrox mixes: particularly when you take those mixes deeper than those mixes may safely be breathed.

A decision like the one this thread is based on shouldn't be made lightly, and particularly not before one is aware of the consequences.

FWIW...

Back
Top Bottom