100s or 120s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeepman3sk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the market for some tanks. My buddy has a set of 100s that I am going to dive with this weekend on my shark dive. We are only allowed to being one tank so I figured a 100 would be better then an 80. What you guys think of the 100s vs. the 120s. These tanks are steel just a heads up.

If I had it to do over again, I would get the 100's only because they are more compact and still allow you to hit your NDL or go deco (if so trained). I have a double 120 setup and love it, but getting the rig on and off tends to be tricky, especially from a boat. The extra length of the 120's is what makes it a bit more difficult, but not unmanageable (I'm 6', BTW). Hope this helps some.

Do you have such poor air consumption that you need the 120?

You'd be surprised how long you can stay down on a HP100 with decent air consumption.

Most of the HP100's are about the same physical size as a AL80. So you won't notice the difference except on your weight belt, which will require less lead once you convert to steel.

Jeepman3sk:
I am in the market for some tanks. My buddy has a set of 100s that I am going to dive with this weekend on my shark dive. We are only allowed to being one tank so I figured a 100 would be better then an 80. What you guys think of the 100s vs. the 120s. These tanks are steel just a heads up.

I built a set of PST HP 120's and I could make two long deco dives 150 to 180 range before I needed more air. I had other gas for deco. The 120's are about 3 inches taller than an AL 80 and with very little effort you can become a master at doing the caveman walk with them.

I'm 6' 175 lbs. and in pretty good shape. I used a fold up dolly to move these rascals around. They were just too big for the majority of my diving. I had some PST HP 100's so I broke the 120's down and put the 100's together. Much easier to use and I still have plenty of gas. They also trim out better.

Diving the 120 as a single tank is fine if you're tall enough. And you will definitely shed some lead.

It looks like I will be going to the 100s. If they are about the same size as a AL80 that will make me happy. I do not have that poor air consumption that I need the 120s jsut my buddy using on and can usually do two dives on it. So I was looking at it. But with the cold waters of New England I'm not sure I would want to stay down that long with a 120 for one dive. When you guys dive double do you use 100s, 119s, or 120s? I want to start a double set up in the next 6-8 months.

Note: I am a newb.

But, I think you should consider 119s. They have the same length as 100s, and are just a little bigger in girth (that, and they weigh 10 more pounds). I don't know if they are too much of a bear for doubles, but as singles, they provide a lot of air.

If you feel you need the 120 cubic foot tanks for whatever reason, I would consider the 119's instead. They are the same height, approximately, as a 100 but they are bigger diameter. The 120's can be a little awkward with the extra length. They are about 4.25 inches taller than a 119. I'm about 6 foot 3, and I find the 120's a tad long for my liking. I personally use lp108's which pretty much split the difference between the 119 and the 120's for height, and they trim really nicely on me. If at all possible, I would suggest borrowing different doubles if possible to see what works best for you personally. If you ever find yourself making a trip up here to dive, I'd be happy to let you try my 108's.

I bought into a doubled HP100, works great for me:D

I have a 120 which I like.
I think you need to be at least 6' tall with a larger frame to be comfortable with it.

My with uses a 100 which works best for her.

It also works out as a buddy team because I have a little higher SAC than her and we tend to finish the dives with the same volume left.

Back
Top Bottom