100 size tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AL goes positive at the end of a dive, known fact.

At the end of a dive, where do you want floaty stuff at? I like to stay a little more balanced. One of the multi-dimensional parts of trim. I don't like the way an aluminum is floaty and wants to be on top.

This is something I’ve never been able to grasp.

It seems like if I breathe X amount of air, then that air weighs what it weighs, and buoyancy increases the same regardless of what tank it came from, because X amount of air weighs Y pounds regardless.

At the end of a dive, where do you want floaty stuff at? I like to stay a little more balanced. One of the multi-dimensional parts of trim. I don't like the way an aluminum is floaty and wants to be on top.
So you don't like the buoyancy above you? You'd rather have it beneath you?

This is something I’ve never been able to grasp.

It seems like if I breathe X amount of air, then that air weighs what it weighs, and buoyancy increases the same regardless of what tank it came from, because X amount of air weighs Y pounds regardless.
Correct, but one thing, though; a factor in how much the buoyancy of a given tank changes is also dependent on how large the tank is, i.e., the volume of water it displaces. The larger the tank, the more it will change, but in reality it's a minor consideration.

Here I am at 5m depth with an AL80 with 50 bar around 725 PSI. Please let me know where my tank is floaty. As you can see signaled to others I have cleared safety stop was just doodling around while my go pro takes a video. If you are floaty at the end of a dive with a tank with low psi bar then you are not weighted or trimmed correctly.

I can’t understand why someone would want to use an aluminium 80 cuft. On land they weigh more than a 100 cuft steel. More dead weight and less air. The only reason I can think of is people who hire them don’t have to paint them.

I can’t understand why someone would want to use an aluminium 80 cuft. On land they weigh more than a 100 cuft steel. More dead weight and less air. The only reason I can think of is people who hire them don’t have to paint them.
The AL80 weighs less than a HP steel 100 100 size tanks?

So you don't like the buoyancy above you? You'd rather have it beneath you?
No, I want it centered. Not above, not below, not next to me.
I prefer less lead tugging in one direction as buoyancy is going in the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom