100 size tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brsnow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Seems it is common for folks on this sight to need larger tanks, is 80 not enough?

Seems it is common for folks on this sight to need larger tanks, is 80 not enough?

It depends on the diving you want to do. The extra air gives people a larger safety margin for deco dives which can be done on a single tank dive or even just to get longer dive times at shallower depths. 2 hour dives some people like to do although an AL80 is enough for me to do a shallow 2 hour dive. Some like using the heavier tank rather than weights.

Lots of reasons beyond just a little more gas.. less lead to carry.. more gas is never a bad thing. I don't want to be @ 120' with an AL 80 and shtf. Size wise 100's are about the same size as an 80.

It definitely depends on your consumption rate and your dive profile. When I was new to diving I would often get 100s, because I went through gas much faster than my son. We usually dive with Tres Pelicanos, and it's not unusual for the first dive some days to be fairly deep (over 100fsw) at least for a short time, so gas can go pretty quickly. These days we do fine on 80s. And obviously if you are on a shallow dive at Paradise or Tikila, you can stay down much longer.

I use 100's when available & have for years. Firstly because my lungs have survived many years of abuse in the life of an auto body repair person doing restorations but more importantly because I want more air for photos. I'll fight the current, do it more often than others to return against it for another pass or to reposition my self etc. It's a cheap addition to my total trip price to have the extra air when I want to use it. A few trips ago my camera died a couple of day into the trip & my bottom time shot WAY up because my dives were done totally differently.

Lots of reasons beyond just a little more gas.. less lead to carry.. more gas is never a bad thing. I don't want to be @ 120' with an AL 80 and shtf. Size wise 100's are about the same size as an 80.
Most divers do devils throat and others with 80. The locals do some incredible dives on 80.

It definitely depends on your consumption rate and your dive profile. When I was new to diving I would often get 100s, because I went through gas much faster than my son. We usually dive with Tres Pelicanos, and it's not unusual for the first dive some days to be fairly deep (over 100fsw) at least for a short time, so gas can go pretty quickly. These days we do fine on 80s. And obviously if you are on a shallow dive at Paradise or Tikila, you can stay down much longer.
All 1st dives in Cozumel are over 100

No, not all, totally depends on the dive op, the experience level of divers, and the current/conditions.
I haven’t ran into conditions in Cozumel where it was an issue. Where are currents a deterrent in cozumel besides north?

I haven’t ran into conditions in Cozumel where it was an issue. Where are currents a deterrent in cozumel besides north?
It's not as common in the south, but it does happen -- not recently to me, but in 2019 we did have some current conditions in the south that caused us to change dive sites (don't recall which sites we were trying to go to before we changed).

Back
Top Bottom