10 days near Fort Lauderdale, where should I dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'll be on a Bahamas liveaboard for a week then will stay 10 days in Fort Lauderdale By the Sea. Will do a few days of easy shore diving there to calm myself down after the liveaboard. :( What are other shore diving spots there in drivable distance? I dove Commerce pier last year, it was very calming. Might go to Jupiter and try their under the bridge diving. Maybe even will go to Keys for a day but it is rather a long drive. I don't want to do boat diving that trip, I've done it last year, plus, it will be right after a week long liveaboard, probably will not want to be on a boat for a while. So, shore solo diving only. Any ideas? Might entertain even a lake if it is warm.

EDIT: Timewise it will be the end of Sept.

Last edited:
What dates are you looking at? If it is end August/early Sept, you may want to reconsider and dive the Castor out of Boynton Beach to catch the Goliath Grouper aggregation. The BHB in Riviera Beach sounds like a good idea.

The bridge is in Riviera Beach. Jupiter Dive Center is awesome, as is Narcosis in West Palm,

i could be wrong ...but i hear there is no beach diving in the keys...........correct me if I'm wrong.

Consider doing some boat dives. There are many good sites in that area and in Key Largo as well.

The bridge you'll want to dive is the world famous Blue Heron Bridge in WPB. A couple of bridges in Jupiter can be dove, from what I understand, but no one I know ever has. The window around slack high tide is much shorter on Jupiter bridges than BHB due to the geography. Two shops are close by: Force-E and Pura Vida. For info on BHB see the following:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/386645-blue-heron-bridge-trolls.html
Blue Heron Bridge
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Blue Heron Bridge of Florida, USA East

If you go to Jupiter, take a charter to the reefs since that is the only real option: I use and like Jupiter Dive Center. ScubaWorks can arrange trips on the other two Jupiter boats. The Keys are also not major beach diving areas, you'll need to use a charter to get to the sites which are 1.5-6 miles off shore.

You can beach dive in the Dania Beach area; here's some info
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Dania Beach of Florida, USA East
City of Dania Beach, Florida - Official Web Site - Dania Beach Ocean Park

You can also beach dive Pompano's first reef line, but it is a long swim.....
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Pompano Beach of Florida, USA East

Consider joining Gold Coast Scuba's meetup.com group. The shops sponsors lots of beach dives: most of which are in Lauderdale-by-Sea, but beach dives also get scheduled for Dania, Hollywood, Blue Heron Bridge and Pompano. Gold Coast can also rent any gear you'll need, including a dive flag: a must for this area.

There are no real freshwater lakes options to dive without an instructor: the only lake I know of in Broward County is Tigertail but you have to be with an instructor who has permission to dive there.
City of Dania Beach, Florida - Official Web Site - Tigertail Lake Center

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom