Suggestion 10,000+ dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
northernone

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Minor suggestion.

My own curiosity has me wondering which users have significantly more than the 5,000+ maximum dive count. Wondering if people would use an updated upper limit?

Noticed the 'I don't log dives' is also popular with the heavily experienced. Perhaps along the lines of the 'scuba legend' designation in a lesser way I`d love the idea of recognizing at a glance those who have dedicated such a significant part of their life to getting underwater.

That's the idea.
Cameron

The cost of an SSI Platinum Pro 5000 Award is less than another 41 logbooks. Stick a trident in me. I'm done. :D

I wondered that too. Why stop at 5000 on the dive count? Because of the SSI award? Because it seemed like a good number?

Maybe for those who have received official awards there would be something like "SSI Platinum Pro 5000" in place of the number of dives the member selects?

The cost of an SSI Platinum Pro 5000 Award is less than another 41 logbooks. Stick a trident in me. I'm done. :D

I wondered that too. Why stop at 5000 on the dive count? Because of the SSI award? Because it seemed like a good number?

Maybe for those who have received official awards there would be something like "SSI Platinum Pro 5000" in place of the number of dives the member selects?
I've met quite a few industry folks that claim more than 10k dives. Most of them lie.

math is a funny thing.

Most of them lie.
Lie or exaggerate? If I told you once, I told you a bazillion times: DON'T EXAGGERATE!

I've met quite a few industry folks that claim more than 10k dives. Most of them lie.

math is a funny thing.

it's also super interesting to watch my dive count decelerate as my dive time increases significantly. My last 4 hour cave dive counts the same as a 30 minute quarry dive. No way I'll ever get to 10k dives with my average dive time being 2 hours.

it's also super interesting to watch my dive count decelerate as my dive time increases significantly.
Yeah, I'm seeing the Abe Davis Award get further and further away as I only do one 3 hour dive a day when I'm up in Cave Country.

I'm sure that any dive count will also move to include hours for most awards due to widespread use of rebreathers in the future. The point of cave awards is to portray the safety of the sport. I usually do 3 dives a day when in cave country. Morning, afternoon, and a night dive. In the islands, I usually do 2 morning and 2 afternoon boat dives. Clearly, the "risk" of diving is similar between OC counts and rebreather hours. OC means more ascents. CCR means more system management. Exposure to the environment is similar.

Or, we just need to make the NACD is fully functional again. They had a clue: :D

Bronze Wakulla Award - 100 or more hours of bottom time in the cave zone or 100 or more safe cave dives.

Silver Wakulla Award - 500 or more hours of bottom time in the cave zone or 500 or more safe cave dives.

Gold Wakulla Award - 1000 or more hours of bottom time in the cave zone or 1000 or more safe
cave dives.

On another note, I was talked into applying for awards. I assumed they were only a personal accomplishment, but then it was explained to me that what seemed like a small step for man was a giant leap toward proof of concept that diving was safe for all mankind.

Last edited:
Does it matter much once you get past the 1-3K range? There have been threads before relating to "experience" stats. It is a challenge finding one or two lines in a profile that tells readers "listen to this diver" or "maybe not so much".

It takes a long time to rack up 5K dives dives even if you make your living underwater. Figure 250 diving days a year and 4 dives/day. A 1000 dives a year doesn't take long but that is a pretty grueling schedule and dictates shallow and benign conditions.

Guides on a liveaboard often only make two dives a day. I guess dive instructors at tropical resorts can rack up a lot of dives per day if they count every time they pop their heads out of the water to talk. I "think" that most dive computers use a "five minute" rule between Scuba dives. Then there are freediving spear fisherman who could exceed 50 dives a day.

Commercial divers working deep air can only do 1-2 dives a day due to table constraints. You can argue a lockout from the bell in saturation counts as "a dive" even though the convention that I experienced is seal-to-seal, typically one dive lasting 14-40 days. Shallow jobs can get you in and out of the water frequently between heavy lifts, waiting for decisions, moving along a pier, etcetera but that rarely adds up to more than 8-12/day. Same with urchin or aquaculture divers. The convention I saw most frequently was counting a "new dive" when you take your hat off, but dive supervisors usually don't bother logging them on wharf and dock jobs since tracking time and depth isn't an issue for decompression or pay.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom