1/2 sized standard units (e.g. JJ-CCR, P2, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry I know you said no chest mounted units however the Triton sounds like it is right up your ally if your looking for something small, lightweight, and compact (minus the fact that is chest mounted).

2.1kg scrubber capacity and ready to dive the unit is only 12.2kg. Also CE approved to 100m

Another thread reminded me that the sport KISS may fit your needs :)

IIRC ISC showed a very small rebreather at one of the DEMA shows some years ago. It was smaller than the Pathfinder and it had small alu cylinders with integrated first stages. I think it never went into production or was never made available to the public. ADM even made a DEMA show video about it, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

VR
Roland

mini rebreather.jpg
mini rebreather2.jpg

Found it. it was called the Mini Predator. Having built 2 rebreathers (yes I still dive them and I 'm still alive:) , I'm still thinking about making a small one for my daughter (she is only 3.5 years old so plenty of time to finish it). I even got a 120mm tube that is already welded closed on one end, but since the diameter is small, it could only take an axial scrubber, which I'm not a big fan of. Also the problem with such super light rebreathers is that it will need significant amount of lead because of the counter lungs. So if it has to be a certain weight to be neutral in the water, what is the point of making it small and lightweight. Anyways, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. My apologies.

Very Respectfully

Roland

Most standard config CE CCRs will do six+ hours of easy diving. If you don't know or believe it, feel free to stop reading here.

But forget CE for moment...

Will there ever be one that's half the size, weight and capacity, but still conforms to standard back-mounted config (e.g. JJ, P2, etc)?

I don't want or need sidemount or a chest mount solution. Both are inherently less fault tolerant (minor flooding, for example).

Show me 1.5L cylinders and a 1.5kg canister to start? Not even the Revo "micro" comes close to being actually smaller.

The rEvo Micro is not that much smaller than a rEvo Mini, but, it IS smaller.... and a rEvo Micro with 2L cylinders and no stand stuck on the bottom is pretty darn small. And light. And low profile. Starting from there and reducing size to 1.5L cylinders and a 1.5kg can is going to net you how much noticeable reduction in overall size? Enough to make a difference to anything you would every do with it?

Now that you bring it up, if you compare the size and weight of a "standard back-mounted CCR", like a JJ or P2, I wonder how much bigger than "half the size and weight" a rEvo Micro with 2L cylinders (and no stand) is.

I can fit mine, with BOV and loop, stand and everything except cylinders, in a normal suitcase, sandwiched between 2 dog beds, for padding, and it weighs just under the 50# airline luggage limit. The next time I build it for a dive, I will try to remember to weight it, with sorb and cylinders, ready to dive. It really IS just not very big or heavy.

Calling RMS good is a bit of a stretch isn't it?

rMS has a reputation that I believe it earned when it was new (back around 2012-ish? I think?). My anecdotal survey of current rEvo divers combined with my own 2 years of experience with mine is that the current rMS parts are much more reliable than the original ones were. Also, having bought a used rEvo that required replacing all 4 primary components of the rMS system at different times in my first year with it (with all 4 being 7 or 8 years old), I can add that if you have rMS and it dies, well then, you are now diving a rEvo that works just like a non-rMS rEvo. I.e. you're no worse off than if you'd never had rMS in the first place. It's not like if the rMS dies you suddenly can't dive your unit until you fix the rMS.

I dived my first unit numerous times with dead rMS, until I was ready to spend the money to buy new parts. It was fine. I just had to dump the sorb more often. Since I fixed it, it has been 100% reliable and I love having it. I can go dive a whole weekend (usually even a 3-day weekend) in NC and not replace any sorb. Without rMS, I would be dumping one of the baskets of sorb every day.

Back
Top Bottom