1/2 sized standard units (e.g. JJ-CCR, P2, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblemonkey2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Most standard config CE CCRs will do six+ hours of easy diving. If you don't know or believe it, feel free to stop reading here.

But forget CE for moment...

Will there ever be one that's half the size, weight and capacity, but still conforms to standard back-mounted config (e.g. JJ, P2, etc)?

I don't want or need sidemount or a chest mount solution. Both are inherently less fault tolerant (minor flooding, for example).

Show me 1.5L cylinders and a 1.5kg canister to start? Not even the Revo "micro" comes close to being actually smaller.

ISC pathfinder is about 20% smaller than the cave can megalodon.
Also ISC mini canister with the 4lb scrubber.
Both are CE too. There is a limit to how small you can go and still have sufficient dwell time in the scrubber to actually work.

Kiss made a pendulum CCR for a very brief time which is downright tiny, its not commercially available however.

I don't want or need sidemount or a chest mount solution. Both are inherently less fault tolerant (minor flooding, for example).
Really?!
After if you want a BM, rjack gave you the good answer.
A classic KISSS without the frame is also a possibility (still attach the lower part of the CLs :)
You can also make yourself a smallish unit with a Ray canister and MSR bags.
But I have the feeling your post is an introduction to showing your unit, isn't? :) :)

No I am way behind, I am a spoiled materialist youth raised on the import boom. Maybe the Chinese will make something #danger#
Before, tinkerers used soviet surplus to built their machines.
Then people used produced parts from different builders to built a personal "Lego machine".
Now young people want a bespoke cheap machine :) :) :) :) Spoiled youth :) :) :) :)

One of those SCR 'things' like the Hollis stormtrooper? They only need one cylinder. And a bailout.

One of the things that would concern me about a smaller scrubber is bed depth and dwell time. These things could become problematic at deeper depths.

One of the things that would concern me about a smaller scrubber is bed depth and dwell time. These things could become problematic at deeper depths.

Hmm I wonder if some kind of "low density" absorbent material could occupy the same volume?

Or maybe they already got it right and the canister isn't where to shave weight.

agreed, the 6lb scrubbers are really inconvenient for me since most of my cave dives are around 4 hours. I'm looking at making a 4lb scrubber for one of my units and it's a bed depth/dwell time conundrum. 8lb would work as well, but that won't fit in the lung.

Hmm I wonder if some kind of "low density" absorbent material could occupy the same volume?

Or maybe they already got it right and the canister isn't where to shave weight.

using standard off the shelf sorb is really important.
The mini-meg with the 4lb scrubber or pathfinder with 5lb is about as small as you will probably ever see.

Back
Top Bottom