Worth still doing Peak Performance Buoyancy after AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would try GUE if it were not a cult. They don't accept recreational cigar smokers, it seems. Next, you will have to be vegan and only drink water to dive "right" :cool:
The best advice I received before taking fundies was "You don't have to drink the Kool Aid. Just come for the skills." They have a philosophy for diving that I do understand, but I do not adopt for myself. I typically use air in OC, I solo dive, I dive sidemount in open water, etc..

PPB doesn't have any performance requirements that are not covered in open water. Its existence is a testimony to the existence of poor open water courses.

Take GUE fundies instead.

I agree that there are a lot of OW courses that do not seem to spend enough time in the water to "master" the skills they are teaching.

Fundies sounds like a very good course if one is locally available, and one has the funds. A private lesson or two with a good (tech) instructor could put the OP on the right path locally at a reasonable price.

Spending $1600 for fundies will sure as he’ll be better money spent than taking aow and peak buoyancy

Does fundies give an AOW card so he could go on deeper boat dive?

Well, if you were taught on your knees, then that is a greater possibility.

It still stands that fundies provides far greater value. If you take it, you will see what I mean.
I was not taught on my knees, but still feel that the extra training focused solely on buoyancy and finning in PPB was super beneficial.

At this point, I have no interest in taking fundies as I feel I’m at a good place with diving skills for the type of diving I’m doing - I just need to get out diving more often. Unfortunately, this lousy pandemic has made it tough, but I have 5 trips scheduled this year and hoping they all happen!

I did the PPB class and the amount of time involved isn't going to make anyone an expert on anything. Like 90% of the PADI training, it gets you thinking about things you may not have known or understood and sets a foundation. That's not a knock on the instructor I had and he seemed very competent and cared. There just wasn't enough time in the class. To me, it's up to the individual at that point to spend time building on that and develop skills that I assume only comes with several hours of experience working on those concepts.

The best advice I received before taking fundies was "You don't have to drink the Kool Aid. Just come for the skills." They have a philosophy for diving that I do understand, but I do not adopt for myself. I typically use air in OC, I solo dive, I dive sidemount in open water, etc..
GUE have some good policies, but the training does’t produce miracles. We had the top U.K. GUE rep constantly on about how good Fundies was compared to all other agency courses. He shut up after failing to achieve ‘black‘ on our Buoyancy & Trim Workshop.

I would try GUE if it were not a cult. They don't accept recreational cigar smokers, it seems. Next, you will have to be vegan and only drink water to dive "right" :cool:

There in lies the biggest "fault" with GUE. Many do treat it almost like a cult. Diving only with GUE members and creating secret handshakes. Some of the instructors believe their only job is to flunk students multiple times or spend the whole class showing the students how perfect they are and how bad you, the student, is.

But the system works, and (like any endeavor) you need to find a good instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom