What's the latest on Fonatur parking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I can say is the current conditions at Fonatur are one big cluster f@$#. Dont see improvements for the parking situation changing for atleast 100 years. The highway before you enter the fonatur will be the parking lot soon with the increase of divers arriving.

The current plan for the 'parking lot'
View attachment 694216
Much as I hate dealing with them, this is why most municipalities in the US have planning commissioners. Left to themselves, most developers will only consider what they can do with their own plot of land without thinking about its impact on the surrounding area. Couple that with incompetence, corruption, or both within the development company, and you get... well, this.

Didn't they screw up their expansion work of the boat areas? Did they fix that? Thank goodness there is another marina on the island. Hell, I like the boat rides.

If this were to succeed, I can imagine the horrible impact on the traffic between there and town, the construction runoff onto the reef they claim to try to protect, then the expected sewage problems. I can't see the appeal of living in an apartment overlooking boat docks tho. I hope this fails, too.
In 2019, Fonatur announced that it had not yet been able to commercialize 70 percent of the lots that make up Marina Cozumel, so they proposed to change the business scheme.

A prior post had alluded to this , but among the many planning errors was that couldn’t make the marina as deep as they intended because during construction they realized they would hit the aquifer/cenote system if the excavated to their planned depth. I forget the exact numbers, but it is something like 3 feet shallower than intended. Doesn’t matter to dive boats but matters if you are trying to draw in the international yacht crowd which I gather was part of their business plan.

This is parking related - not cars or motos but all those wonderful carts used to move gear and tanks down to the boats - they put a fence up blocking those things to where they have been locked up....

Yes, now we have a barbed wire protecting us from the jungle and those evil carts...... The fence has been left open on one end so you can walk 200 foot around it to get your cart......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom