New Scubapro S-Tek (BP/W BC's) Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 30lbs/13kg - includes a single tank adapter (Pro Tek) is 950 Euro (includes tax).

The "Pure Tek" version of the above is 850 Euro.

All other combinations but without single tank adapter will be 100 Euros less than the version with the STA., e.g., 850 and 750 Euros.

So I did some googling to see what everyone was talking about, I am disappointed to see this:

The X-Tek STA was a cheap was to get two of the Scubapro QD bands when I was building my BPW. So when I build my travel setup I will probably see if I can find NOS of the X-tek STA.
I just watched the video. Who do they think they are kidding? That STA is a cheap piece of crap. It's thin aluminum, only uses one tank strap, and is oddly wide because apparently the S-tek wings are actually doubles wings and they are trying to keep them from tacoing too badly.

Frankly, I wouldn't consider this system for single tank diving even if were cost competitive. At around twice the price of a DGX or HOG system, it's a nonstarter for me.

STAs are ok.
Though I was under the impression that the backplate would be compatible with other wings and STAs, but realized this isn't stated anywhere.
Would be a big bummer if it's not the case.
If the holes are on 11” centers then any wing should work. It also looks like any conventional STA would work.

If the holes are on 11” centers then any wing should work. It also looks like any conventional STA would work.
I checked the manual, the holes are the standard 11". But no tank band slots in the wing or plate, so you have to use an STA from someone.

Interesting how the lower waist slot configuration looks suspiciously similar to my FP waist slots with the inner 30 degree slot and the outer vertical slot, hmmm. Maybe I actually know what I’m doing?

I know they’re trying to do a new twist on an old style doubles plate that been around since the 80’s
But that style plate is just that, a doubles style plate. They are not optimized for single tank diving. It’s still straight up and down, offers no contouring, the tank is still going to stick out at the top, it still needs padding. I really don’t see much improvement over a plate with a channel. Instead of a channel it has recessed holes but those have some height probably equal to the height of a channel, and the STA is still going to move the tank further away from the diver on top of that. It has no cam band slots so you’re forced to use a STA whether you want to or not.
The only thing that intrigued me was the fact that it was pressed into shape by forging and not with a press brake. This is something that I’ve been fantasizing about for years, to make the multi contoured shape of the FP’s in a press, then finish off everything on a CNC machine. I round over all the edges and slots on my stuff too. Scubapro has the money for that kind of initial setup with the presses and die’s, I don’t.
Maybe I should go hit them up for a job?

I don’t see a huge market for this. I have a feeling it will be a short lived product. Too many other cheaper alternatives that will do the exact same thing, actually better because virtually every other doubles style plate has cam band slots.

I think the technology has moved more to wings now and the features they offer, roll control systems, streamlining, etc. these companies need to work on that and some standardization.

I did like the stainless shoulder slider adjustment brackets though, those would be great for adjustability for student and class/rental use as has been already mentioned. I wonder if they’ll sell those separately?
Somebody also needs to come up with another good HD stainless cam buckle. All the new ones I’ve seen are kinda cheesy.

They'll have a market. Never underestimate the power of marketing and in-person sales pressure. Why do you think they've always worked so hard against mail order and then online sales?

They'll have a market. Never underestimate the power of marketing and in-person sales pressure. Why do you think they've always worked so hard against mail order and then online sales?
The tech market is very small and very saturated.
The main premium brand right now and the one that was started by the GUE community from ground zero is Halcyon. If someone want’s to blow a wad of dough just buy that.
Scubapro never really made it with their old system because they were not the innovators of that style BP/W. It was a dude in his garage cutting up an old stop sign. Diverite, OMS, Halcyon, and many more have been doing this for way longer than SP. SP was a band wagoner that jumped on very late in the game.
If SP really wants to make a difference and corner the market they should work to continuously improve the durability and simplify the Hydros Pro.
Nobody else has that. That to me has way more potential as a dedicated single tank rig then this plate. I have come to the conclusion that a plate needs to be designed for either singles or doubles but not both.
If they want to get in with the tech divers and take some market share back then a better place to start would be to offer independent reg service classes and sell them service kits. That would compete with Hog, Deep 6 and others.

The tech market is very small and very saturated.
The main premium brand right now and the one that was started by the GUE community from ground zero is Halcyon. If someone want’s to blow a wad of dough just buy that.
Scubapro never really made it with their old system because they were not the innovators of that style BP/W. It was a dude in his garage cutting up an old stop sign. Diverite, OMS, Halcyon, and many more have been doing this for way longer than SP. SP was a band wagoner that jumped on very late in the game.
If SP really wants to make a difference and corner the market they should work to continuously improve the durability and simplify the Hydros Pro.
Nobody else has that. That to me has way more potential as a dedicated single tank rig then this plate. I have come to the conclusion that a plate needs to be designed for either singles or doubles but not both.
If they want to get in with the tech divers and take some market share back then a better place to start would be to offer independent reg service classes and sell them service kits. That would compete with Hog, Deep 6 and others.
I don't think they care much about actual tech divers. I suspect this is about keeping hold of some of the rec divers they are losing as word of the advantages of the BP/W continues to spread.

It is curious that the setup is optimized for doubles though. Maybe I'm wrong and they are thinking about purchasing a cert agency and pushing into tech training? Like Mares parent company bought SSI and then Mares came out with its XR line.

Or maybe they are so disconnected from what's going on outside their bubble that they can't accept that rec divers could really be interested in a BP/W instead of a traditional BCD? It's certainly possibly. It would also explain why the only singles wing they sell has 30 pounds of lift. Where's the 18 to 24# option?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom