Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over hydration is associated with IPE as well.

To get proper electrolyte replacement try pedialyte. It’s super salty, but at least there’s flavor. There are other medically proven oral rehydration solutions that are rather unpleasant to drink.
The acronym has many medical terms. Can you be specific? Looked it up on the internet. Thanks.
Immersion Pulmonary Edema - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

Over hydration is associated with IPE as well.
We know so little about IPE--it would be ironic if people who got IPE did so in part because they were overhydrating to avoid the danger of DCS.

As someone who struggled with normal pulmonary edema while recovering from surgery, I have a theory that people who suffered IPE during a dive may well have started the dive with some level of pulmonary edema already.

I've heard that drinking sugar water laced with electrolytes can cause dehydration. I drink pure coconut juice. The effects are immediate invigoration after a dive.
"Sugar Supports Water and Nutrient Absorption
Sugar can help to speed up the rehydration process."
Sugar as an Electrolyte

That being said, I think the threat of dehydration and resulting DCS while diving is overblown.
Yep.
Knowledgeable people have since convinced me that there is no research to support that--it is just a common belief that gets passed on and on and on in scuba circles.
Yep, but some of the most experienced chamber doctors are not up to date on this, so those in Cozumel are still heard to claim that. It sounds good to them when the truth is that we often don't know why one diver gets bent while his close buddy doesn't.

We know so little about IPE--it would be ironic if people who got IPE did so in part because they were overhydrating to avoid the danger of DCS.
:cool:

One of the best laboratories of hydration science is firefighters who fight wildfires called smokejumpers. They don't drink straight Gatorade or straight water. They mix them 1 to 1. Makes a lot of sense to me. But it is hard to make money marketing a drink that isn't sweet.

On another point of this discussion.

Water is good for you, right? Well at a fraternity at a 4 year college near me about 20 years ago they did a "pledge initiation" in which they made the pledge drink an enormous amount of water.

Guess the outcome.

Yeah he died.

The WHO has some experience with cholera outbreaks and oral hydration therapy.

ORS is a sodium and glucose solution which is prepared by diluting 1 sachet of ORS in 1 litre of safe water. It is important to administer the solution in small amounts at regular intervals on a continuous basis. In case ORS packets are not available, homemade solutions consisting of either half a small spoon of salt and six level small spoons of sugar dissolved in one litre of safe water, or lightly salted rice water or even plain water may be given to PREVENT or DELAY the onset of dehydration on the way to the health facility.

WHO | WHO position paper on Oral Rehydration Salts to reduce mortality from cholera

Mixing Gatorade 1:1 is also what we recommend for people with diarrhea that will not drink Pedialyte.

A prominent orthopedic and sports medicine physician, and marathon runner, Dr Jordan Metzel recommends Gatorade Endurance for endurance sports (but I don’t think scuba diving qualifies). I attended one of his lectures years ago.

https://www.gatorade.com/endurance

During the diving dehydration debate it was thought by some that dehydration post dive might make one more susceptible to bends but that mild dehydration prior to diving might lessen the already small risk. Not sure if this was ever substantiated by research.

Water is good for you, right? Well at a fraternity at a 4 year college near me about 20 years ago they did a "pledge initiation" in which they made the pledge drink an enormous amount of water.

Guess the outcome.

Yeah he died.

Water toxicity is indeed a 'thing.' Some mentally ill people, such as a minority of schizophrenics, engage in polydipsia - excessive drinking. This can lead to electrolyte depletion, such as lowering sodium levels in the blood to dangerous levels. This is more dangerous if it is done rapidly. For that matter, rapid correction can also be dangerous - so a patient with this problem may be put on fluid restriction rather than just give some salt tablets, or an I.V. solution with substantial sodium, to take.

Water toxicity is indeed a 'thing.' Some mentally ill people, such as a minority of schizophrenics, engage in polydipsia - excessive drinking. This can lead to electrolyte depletion, such as lowering sodium levels in the blood to dangerous levels. This is more dangerous if it is done rapidly. For that matter, rapid correction can also be dangerous - so a patient with this problem may be put on fluid restriction rather than just give some salt tablets, or an I.V. solution with substantial sodium, to take.
Leeches? :D

Back
Top Bottom