Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think she does care, but has no obligation or desire to share her personal private plans with random internet strangers. Is that not reasonable?
I understood the first part
"with random internet strangers" from you that I found hilarious!!
Every single in this board is a complete stranger to me!

. . .
During the diving dehydration debate it was thought by some that dehydration post dive might make one more susceptible to bends but that mild dehydration prior to diving might lessen the already small risk. Not sure if this was ever substantiated by research.

I hope researchers investigate this more. I could see another benefit to being mildly dehydrated during a dive.

Well, I think it is safe to say that there are 2 types of divers in this world these days... Those who did the old school training and wanted to pursue this as a life-long past time and those newbies who want to get rapid-certified with an online course and jet off somewhere for their OW check out dives so they can immediately take selfies or pics of each other harassing sea life that they can post on their social media forums and scream LOOK AT ME BEIN' ALL RAD! Buncha idiots. I've been diving with them, you've been diving them and when we all splash we get the F away from them. 'Nuf said.

I do it so I can retire and never wear socks again. Also because being underwater brings me solace.

Just a suggestion....

Most computer manuals are very poorly designed and have way more information than you need. There are computer features that are obvious, which is most of what appears on the face of most computers while you are diving. Then there are other things you will need to look up because they are easy to forget, some of which are setting nitrox, following directions for unintended decompression, using the logbook, planning, etc. On my first computer, those items were so carefully scattered throughout the manual without being properly referenced in the table of contents that it must have been intentional, and if you read through the entire manual, you can easily miss them as your mind becomes numbed with that overloaded of stuff you don't really need to know.

There really aren't that many such things, and you can easily make a short cheat sheet for them. You could even laminate it and store it with your computer.

Years ago I was assigned to do a swimming pool refresher course for someone with well over 100 dives. She was about to take her annual dve vacation. She had all her own gear, and it was high end. It included a hose-connected AI computer. As she turned on her air, she noted that her computer had read the contents of the tank and determined it was EANx 32. When I told her that her tank had air, and the computer was just reading the nitrox setting she had put in previously, she refused to believe it. She insisted her air integrated computer always analyzed the contents of her tank. I told her the dive shop did not have the ability to make nitrox, and she finally believed me.

So it is very good to review these things, and a cheat sheet makes it easier.

This is something I like about our Oceanics. They come with a laminated sheet that shows the order of the screens and what various buttons (or single button in the case of a Veo 180Nx) do while on that screen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom