First diving trip to Cozumel - a few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertas scuba shack across the street is a great little dive op,

Thanks for all the replies. 3mm jumpsuit it is. Any best for the buck recommendations? I do have my own mask and fins. Yet to get booties but afraid that will require getting new fins as my current fit is tight. Flying to Cozumel and don't plan to do cenotes this trip - I just like them enough to know that I will be back in playa or Akumal to go dive there again and want a wetsuit versatile enough for both. But agree that ocean dives in PDC are a bit disappointing especially after east asia.

3mm full suit. I like Bare, you can find last year's color on sale for about 1/2 price.

We were quite happy with Salty Endeavors. They pick up at the Grand Park Royal dock 8:20 am. Plenty of time for breakfast (which opens at 7 am). Go to the oceanside pool area and there is a gate on the north side, usually with a guy there to unlock it. (Probably let the front desk know.) If it is locked, the wall is easily hopped.

Good guys, small fast boats. Wear your wetsuit if there's wind, the spray does come over the windward rail.

Great prices with the lowest gear cost I could find but still good stuff. (We had a couple people in our group last month renting.) They will rinse/store your gear and set it up the next day if you want.

They typically do afternoons as well. Night by request. Not sure what their minimum is, but we had 3 for the night.

3mm jumpsuit it is. Any best for the buck recommendations?

i would also recommend Bare. it is hard to beat their fit. i own a 5/4mm velocity and have had two of their dry suits.

i also have a henderson thermaxx 3mm. easily the most comfy suit i have used. very stretchy and warm. only warning is that you need to be careful when hanging it inside out. the inner lining does not take kindly to velcro. haha if any velcro attaches to it, it will pull the fabric out when you remove it. but i really like mine.

I use a 3mil suit in Cozumel. I have used shorties and skins at various times, but I always end up getting cold after a few days. Cold tolerance is pretty personal, but it's hard to imagine being too warm in a 3 mil suit. As far as what brand, the only thing that matters is the fit. So try on several.

I've dove with Roberta for years and I like them quite a bit. They are a small dive op, and unless they are unusually busy, they don't do a lot of afternoon dives. You can certainly ask about that.

In terms of diving in the cenotes, the fresh water is noticeably colder (maybe 75-76F) and for most people, a 3 mil suit is pushing it as far as comfort goes. I spend a lot of time cave diving on the mainland, and I use a 3 mil suit plus a 2 mil hooded vest, or occasionally a 5 mil suit. I do get cold on the longer dives (2 hours +) but for cenotes in single tanks, the dives are rarely more than 40-45 minutes. You are supposed to turn the dive when you reach 2/3 of your gas, so typically that's 2000 PSI in a AL80. So the shortness of the dives means you can sometimes get away with less insulation. You might try the hooded vest option on top of your 3 mil suit; that way you can use the same suit in the ocean and cenotes.

I like to add a hood to my gear bag. They're cheap, add a lot of warmth and don't take up much space. If you are doing multiple dives in a day, you lose body heat for the later dives and a hood can make all the difference. Hooded vests are fine, too, but sizing is a bit tricky to fit either under or over a wetsuit.

Good guys, small fast boats. Wear your wetsuit if there's wind, the spray does come over the windward rail.
That may not be good advice; wearing a wet wetsuit in the wind will likely make you feel colder, and of course when the boat is moving there is always "wind".

We were quite happy with Salty Endeavors...

That may not be good advice; wearing a wet wetsuit in the wind will likely make you feel colder, and of course when the boat is moving there is always "wind".
True, but that Op provides towels for drying off, and I think maybe windbreakers. I'm picky enough that I carry my own towel and foil blanket.

5 or 7 mil in cozumel? is it possible to sweat underwater? lol

True, but that Op provides towels for drying off, and I think maybe windbreakers. I'm picky enough that I carry my own towel and foil blanket.
I carry my own towel as well, but even in May I peel off the upper half of my wetsuit and diveskin before the boat starts moving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom