Where to put octo BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm happy you decided not to go with all the hootenanny schemes.
And which of the setups posted here do you consider “hootenanny schemes”? I’ve just seen folks posting valid solutions that work perfectly well for them...

All of them.....except for the necklace. How many of them "folks" have experienced having their primary yanked out of their mouths unexpectedly?

I’ll just just throw out there that I’ve seen a lot of these, as well. Also seen more than a few regulators pop out and dangle behind the user. If someone is going to use this keeper...check to make your regulator is still secure after you hop in.
Indeed. Attention to detail is important in any kind of setup.

@PghDiver089 now that you've chosen the necklaced octo, you should also look into learning the procedures for managing it (donning, verifying it's not entangled, donating, doffing).

Good afternoon. I am new to diving with a BP&W. I purchased a Halcyon Infinity BP&W. I cannot really find a good place to put the octopus. Anyone have suggestions? The way Halcyon tells you to set it up, the d rings are near your shoulders making a little harder to reach in a hurry. Where does everyone keep there's at?

Breath and donate the long hose, BO bunged around your neck. Probably already been said 100 times :)

All of them.....except for the necklace. How many of them "folks" have experienced having their primary yanked out of their mouths unexpectedly?
You're entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree with your judgemental dismissal of non-tech octo configurations... as do the vast majority of recreational divers out there. Since getting certified almost 6 years ago, I could likely count on 2 hands the # of times I've seen divers with a long hose and necklaced octo. I'm not saying it's a bad system, but I see no need for it in the type of diving that I do (no cave or confined spaces).

Good afternoon. I am new to diving with a BP&W. I purchased a Halcyon Infinity BP&W. I cannot really find a good place to put the octopus...Where does everyone keep there's at?

Maybe the straps are too tight but getting to the D Rings can be a challenge because of the way it pulls on my shoulders.

The first pic below is of me when I first got the Infinity before it was stripped of most of the padding, cinch, etc. You can just see the octo holder hanging from the d-ring. I had no issues with it in that position at all.

If you're being pinched under the arm, the straps are probably too tight and your d-rings are in the way. I had that briefly as well.

The d-rings need to go wherever they work for you. If you're standing with your arms up and drop your thumbs to your harness, that's a ballpark for where your d-rings should go. When you're diving, you can see if that spot works by checking if it's easy for you to reach and manipulate.

Having said that, I switched to a long hose with a second on a necklace nearly 7 years ago and never looked back.

FB_IMG_1598821708087.jpg

Same Infinity, stripped down to the Eclipse with a long hose:

FB_IMG_1598822826209.jpg

You're entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree with your judgemental dismissal of non-tech octo configurations... as do the vast majority of recreational divers out there. Since getting certified almost 6 years ago, I could likely count on 2 hands the # of times I've seen divers with a long hose and necklaced octo. I'm not saying it's a bad system, but I see no need for it in the type of diving that I do (no cave or confined spaces).
I dive a 40 inch primary and a necklaced second. On the few occasions I dive with a new buddy, I make sure they know I would primary donate. Though primary donate has become more common, most divers still think you will donate your backup reg, located somewhere in your chest area.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree with your judgemental dismissal of non-tech octo configurations... as do the vast majority of recreational divers out there. .

Sounds like an uninformed conspiracy.

....Since getting certified almost 6 years ago, I could likely count on 2 hands the # of times I've seen divers with a long hose and necklaced octo. I'm not saying it's a bad system, but I see no need for it in the type of diving that I do (no cave or confined spaces).

As you said...in a recreational setting...It really isn’t that common (at least not from what I’ve seen). Most of the folks that I’ve been diving with have a lot more experience than I do and I need to be sure to mention that I do primary donate.

That’s how I learned (necklace “octo” and primary donate), I like that system, but I recognize that not everyone has the same way of looking at things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom