Scubapro 108HP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If remembering correctly from 108s I have had over the years, I have seen three different sizes on the exhaust valve. Here is photo of older 108 with double exhaust valve mentioned by scrane, this being the smallest size valve (20mm).

I started digging thru the storage boxes looking for 108s with the thought of seeing which ones might be able to receive the adjustable orifice assembly for the HP upgrade, but have not made much progress. This 108 would not be upgradable, no threads on the body to screw in the necessary parts in the hose inlet area.
20200721_120232.jpg 1082.jpg

Some of the discussions on the 108 seem to get tangled up with comments about the 109, which can be upgraded with the Duro poppet or the balanced chamber. With the 108 there's not much the user can do. The 108's seem to have gone through a number of factory configurations, though:
Large vs small exhaust diaphragms
Diaphragm materials.
Plastic tipped levers.
Fixed vs adjustable orifice.
Square vs round cross section valve stem with insert housing.
And maybe more?

Some of the discussions on the 108 seem to get tangled up with comments about the 109, which can be upgraded with the Duro poppet or the balanced chamber. With the 108 there's not much the user can do. The 108's seem to have gone through a number of factory configurations, though:
Large vs small exhaust diaphragms
Diaphragm materials.
Plastic tipped levers.
Fixed vs adjustable orifice.
Square vs round cross section valve stem with insert housing.
And maybe more?

and then the R-series....

I do not believe there was a R108 designation ever by SP - many have said it though in reference....

I meant the r-series is a generational refinement (new model using the design principals), like the g250 was for the 109/156.

Similarly, we do not call it a G109 or a G156....

(IIRC, and there was a thread back a bit ago, where the letter designations were attributed to the designer's name)

Looking at Kupu's post and photos it looks like the guts of the really early 108's could be removed from the body. ? ! I wonder if Kupu's double valve 108 also has the plastic tipped lever?
Since the Internet it seems that all secrets are revealed. It's fascinating that some of these somewhat obscure pre internet subjects retain these dark corners.

I'll continue my rant that is is just frustrating as all heck that SP took over and took down a beautiful chronology of their regulators, the good, the bad, and the steps getting there as models were improved (sometimes not).

They would rather hide history......

Thank you very much very helpful happy to have this in my document library. So I followed the procedure and I have it cracking now at .7
Good to hear. Please share the particular process you used. Is the lever height now correct?

Looking at the diagram below where would I install the washer?
Either side of the spring would work. Easiest to install would be poppet-->washer-->spring. I've not done it, but I would imagine trying to put the washer on the other side of the spring would take a Puppet Master (or should that be a Poppet Master) to get everything to line up. It would also be a simple matter of taking the spring and poppet to the hardware store to find the right size.

I'll continue my rant that is is just frustrating as all heck that SP took over and took down a beautiful chronology of their regulators, the good, the bad, and the steps getting there as models were improved (sometimes not).

They would rather hide history......

I'm not sure who put the "Scubapro Timeline" together, but there are a few errors in it. Thankfully someone (again, I do not remember who) took a snap shot of the second stage section of that timeline. See the attachment.

Attachments

• SP SECOND STAGES TIMELINE.docx
    6 MB · Views: 130
Yeah, it had some errors, but was still a damn fine work in progress....

this version is missing a bunch later in time....

Back
Top Bottom