Nitrox for older divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a firm believer in nitrox and use it almost anytime it is available but if I was diving the profiles that After Dark is describing I doubt that I would bother.

You would have less bubbles if you did the same profile using nitrox.

Other than the small additional expense, I really don't see an advantage to using air instead of nitrox

It's no small additional expense here, my friend it is twice the price of air. That means I can make 2 air dives for the price of one nitrox dive. I've got maybe 5 years left before I hang up the regulator I made it this far without nitrox I can go the rest of the way no problem. I'd like to make it 7years for an even 60 years of New England diving.

Besides in about a week or 2 this will arrive on my doorstep and I'll be pumping my own air.
K4-2%20comp.jpg

It's no small additional expense here, my friend it is twice the price of air. That means I can make 2 air dives for the price of one nitrox dive. I've got maybe 5 years left before I hang up the regulator I made it this far without nitrox I can go the rest of the way no problem. I'd like to make it 7years for an even 60 years of New England diving.

Besides in about a week or 2 this will arrive on my doorstep and I'll be pumping my own air.
View attachment 594597

I don't consider the $5-10 per tank additional expense significant compared to what I spend to do a boat dive or the cost of travel and equipment I bought to do a shore dive.

Nice compressor setup. (But you know it's missing a nitrox stick, right?:wink:)

I don't consider the $5-10 per tank additional expense significant compared to what I spend to do a boat dive or the cost of travel and equipment I bought to do a shore dive.

Nice compressor setup. (But you know it's missing a nitrox stick, right?:wink:)

The LDS charges $8.00 for air less than 100cuft $9.00 for more than 100cuft, double for nitrox.

Thanks, no nitrox sticker, yet...I could get one to stick on it. :wink:

If humans benefited from high amounts of oxygen why hasn’t millions of years of evolution ensured that we use more of it instead of exhaling it?

Oxygen is highly reactive. The question maybe should be: why hasn’t millions of years of evolution ensured that we use less of it and exhaling more of it? I suspect a balance was achieved between using enough oxygen to sustain a warm-blooded high metabolism versus damaging our cells.

The quote I found talks about the total risk of DCS, and it does not differentiate between air and nitrox. Where is the quote that compares the two?

By the way, if the report says that there is a .02 chance of DCS with nitrox and a .03 with air, then nitrox drops the risk with ir is 50% higher.
.002 and .003

Lost in cyberspace. The point is, the risk of DCS is already so low that using nitrox only lowers it a minuscule amount. Certainly not enough to consider nitrox safer than air.

As I posted how we use what is between our ears has more bearing on DCS prevention then any mix we breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom