Nitrox for older divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are a rec diver using AL80s at mid level depths, you are probably going to use up your gas before you get to your NDL using nitrox.

So if your dive time would be the same, whether you are on air or nitrox, your nitrogen load would be less using nitrox.

Even if the DCS incidence is not that different, the incidence of venous bubbles is higher when using air.

Enriched Air Nitrox Breathing Reduces Venous Gas Bubbles after Simulated SCUBA Diving: A Double-Blind Cross-Over Randomized Trial

I prefer to not have bubbles in my blood, so I'll stick to using nitrox as much I can.

If you don't want bubbles in your blood stop SCUBA diving and take up free diving. You get bubbles in your blood with or without nitrox.

If humans benefited from high amounts of oxygen why hasn’t millions of years of evolution ensured that we use more of it instead of exhaling it?

Confused
So is nitrox safer?
Can I stay longer?
Have I been bent?
How old is old?
Is there a gradient?
Can I ever dive my EDGE and Skinny Dippers to 180' on 26% and do minimal decompression 7 tanks a day again?

3 in 10,000 cases is .0003, which, if I remember math class, is less than a percentage point. Nitrox does not lower the risk of DCS.
The quote I found talks about the total risk of DCS, and it does not differentiate between air and nitrox. Where is the quote that compares the two?

By the way, if the report says that there is a .02 chance of DCS with nitrox and a .03 with air, then nitrox drops the risk with ir is 50% higher.

If you don't want bubbles in your blood stop SCUBA diving and take up free diving. You get bubbles in your blood with or without nitrox.
You didn't read the paper I linked?

You didn't read the paper I linked?
Yes I did and nowhere did it report no bubbles it reported reduced bubbles.

"I prefer to not have bubbles in my blood, so I'll stick to using nitrox as much I can."
You have bubbles in your blood just fewer if you stay within the air NDL using nitrox.

Did you read it?

Yes I did and nowhere did it report no bubbles it reported reduced bubbles.

"I prefer to not have bubbles in my blood, so I'll stick to using nitrox as much I can."
Did you read it?
So you're OK with nitrox if I say I prefer not to have big bubbles in my blood?

So you're OK with nitrox if I say I prefer not to have big bubbles in my blood?

I'm ok with nitrox. Nitrox is a useful gas for some divers all of the time, for some divers some of the time and a waste of money most of the time for divers like me unable to reach air NDL at any depth without double tanks. So nitrox does not extend my bottom time at all. I dive 1 maybe 2 dives on weekends that I dive, most of those dives are about 40FSW max. I spend the last 1/3 of my dive in 10-15FSW to extend my time in the water by swimming around in shallow water. After 10-15 minutes at 10-15FSW how big and how many bubbles do you think I have in my blood?

You shouldn't go round thinking and saying that nitrox causes you not to have bubbles in your blood that's just wrong.

Do you understand why I don't use nitrox and why nitrox is not for everyone?

I'm ok with nitrox. Nitrox is a useful gas for some divers all of the time, for some divers some of the time and a waste of money most of the time for divers like me unable to reach air NDL at any depth without double tanks. So nitrox does not extend my bottom time at all. I dive 1 maybe 2 dives on weekends that I dive, most of those dives are about 40FSW max. I spend the last 1/3 of my dive in 10-15FSW to extend my time in the water by swimming around in shallow water. After 10-15 minutes at 10-15FSW how big and how many bubbles do you think I have in my blood?

You shouldn't go round thinking and saying that nitrox causes you not to have bubbles in your blood that's just wrong.

Do you see why I don't use nitrox and why nitrox is not for everyone?
You would have less bubbles if you did the same profile using nitrox.

Other than the small additional expense, I really don't see an advantage to using air instead of nitrox

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom