Corona virus and impact on the dive industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're open and able to ship, the shop is running on a "drive-in" basis by my younger partners. There's parking out in front, so it's pretty easy. I'm older and staying at home working online.

This is an awful situation for everyone - most of all those who are sick and dying. We have to first of all keep that in perspective. Scuba diving is pretty f'ing far down on the list.

However, our business has all but stopped and we're not sure how we're going to pay the bills.

Jack

We're open and able to ship, the shop is running on a "drive-in" basis by my younger partners. There's parking out in front, so it's pretty easy. I'm older and staying at home working online.

This is an awful situation for everyone, most of all those who are sick and dying. We have to first of all keep that in perspective. Scuba diving is pretty f'ing far down on the list.

However, our business has all but stopped and we're not sure how we're going to pay the bills.

Jack
Jack wish you the best!

All the three factors are true, albeit at different degrees:
1) Italy is one of the countries with longer life expectation, and very few new born, so the average age is very large. We are an old country... But Japan has exactly our same age profile, and they had much less deaths! So this is not the dominant factor.
2) We are reporting as CV-related all deaths of hospitalised patients affected by CV. CV is actually quite often the additional problem causing the death of people with pre-existing diseases, but who could survive also several years without being infected by CV. Hence I think it is correct to consider the CV responsible of their deaths. On the other side, a significant number of people die at home, without being tested, and hence they are not counted as CV-related. On the average probably these two factors balance out, hence this is not causing a significant over-estimation.
3) Definitely the number of infected people is grossly underestimated, as we do not have the same testing capability as South Korea. Only people being hospitalised with significant symptom are tested, simply because we are unable to test also people with mild symptoms, or asymptomatic but living together with infected people. This leaves a number of infected people going around and infecting others. It would be necessary to perform massive tests involving all the population potentially exposed, and quarantining all the infected, but we are not equipped of the proper testing facilities, as instead South Korea managed to provide.

The other countries should learn from our errors, and from the success stories in SK, Hong Kong and Singapore, where widespread testing and tracking of infects managed to avoid the massive spreading of the infection we have got here.
Unfortunately I do not see those proper policies being applied in other European countries or in the USA...
I suppose that all them will follow Italy's route, instead of South Korea...

@Angelo Farina

I think a significant part of the success in HK, Singapore is because they have experience with SARS and because they took aggressive and quick action early on which I commend. They shut down public places and schools etc way before many other places did when the count was still low (relatively speaking). They implemented stricter travel restrictions earlier on. I also think that there are significant cultural differences with approach to medical care and mask wearing than many other countries and regions. I grew up spending a lot of time in Asia and when someone gets a common cold or slight cough, they immediately go to the doctor. It is overkill and over cautious when looking at it through the scope of the American lens, but it is very normal in HK. They also immediately wear masks to protect others - which you would be hard pressed to see where I live in the US. You would get stares and weird thoughts going through people’s heads. Due to the shortage, they are also advising folks to not wear masks here. Everyone is wearing masks in HK when out and about. I also believe culturally, we are so focused on individual rights and freedoms in the US. In HK, Singapore...it is the needs of many that outweigh the needs of one. Everyone understands that and it is culturally ingrained. The greater good. Their governments also impose strict penalties on orders that are not followed. Almost draconian, if you will. HK tracks you for quarantine upon arrival with a bracelet and app. There is no honor system. Singapore checks in on you and even visits you. They’ve revoked any type of visa and banned entry to Singapore in the future aka blacklisting for breaking orders. Fines, imprisonments are on the table. They aren’t empty threats or “rights to exercise” fines and punishment. They actually are. All those combined together make the whole system work.

As the Florida Keys are scheduled to close as of today, has anyone got any info on what is planned for dive operations. Does anyone think PADI will waive fees or renewal fees for pros.
It seems like scuba is was already not really that popular. Any ideas. How is scuba going where your at.

As the Florida Keys are scheduled to close as of today, has anyone got any info on what is planned for dive operations. Does anyone think PADI will waive fees or renewal fees for pros.
It seems like scuba is was already not really that popular. Any ideas. How is scuba going where your at.

Per Rainbow Reef's FB page, they're suspending dive operations from tomorrow (3/23) through 4/6, at the recommendation of the county authorities. I suspect it will be the same for other dive ops.

Per Rainbow Reef's FB page, they're suspending dive operations from tomorrow (3/23) through 4/6, at the recommendation of the county authorities. I suspect it will be the same for other dive ops.
Not at this time
Capt slates 20 dllr dive trip
Islamorada dive center 20 dllr trip
Keys dives Islamorada free to locals I believe
Fkdc sea dwellers closed

The information you have provided is incorrect and may inhibit people from understanding the reality of the situation. You should revise or delete the misinformation.

Please say exactly what you think is incorrect with the information I have posted.

Our local dive shops on Catalina depend almost entirely on divers from overtown. Since the ferries are discouraging travel to the island, there are almost no divers here to support them. Fortunately for most of the staff, the shops are focusing on equipment repair to keep them employed.

Right now in Austin Texas there is no dive industry.

LDS all closed, all the boat ramps on the lakes are closed. Almost all the public "shore" dive spots on the lake are either parks (closed), or private commercial locations (closed).

So the only way you are diving is if you are doing it from private property and you have access to a compressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom