Corona virus and impact on the dive industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 4 sitting here ready to go that people on the “list” won’t respond to my pings. Either they quit scubaboard, got something else, or quit diving. I have two shaped up and ready to surface sand, and 11 in flat stock. All of them mediums.
The ‘list’ isn’t working out. I may just put them up in classifieds as I make them and it will be first come first serve.
There might be a 10 lb s/s large in your future. “If” I decide to get rid of it you will be the only person that will get it.
Post an all call on the list thread, 24 hours to claim your spot and make a new list. Board traffic does seem to have dropped off for everything but coved posts and I understand there are a lot of people with income insecurity and planned trip losses so some will welcome moving back on the list while others will be happy to jump ahead.

chillyinCanada; I understand the principle of flattening out the curve; but the numbers that are being put out don't match the "911" scenario its being made out to be. Looking at how many cases are popping up; this has to have been in circulation for alot longer than being stated regardless of what the media and officials are willing to admit, and it was just brushed off as a bad or complicated case of the flu. Now that people are realizing what it is with the new tests its like someone calling the fire department after the house has already burned down. We're already way past the point of containment. The 2 big flaws no one is pointing out are, as soon as everyone comes out of "self quarantine " There is going to be a mass resurrgance of cases which is going to cause a second "spike" as there are still going to be carrier individuals; the second flaw is the tests being used have a 48% false negative result. Containment failed in the 1918 flu pandemic and unfortunately it will with this scenario as well.
I do agree symptomatic individuals should be responsible and stay home; seek appropriate medical attention as needed; and I'm certainly not trying to be insensitive to the elder population who is more affected.
Last year in the US alone 57K people died from flu or flu complications; and that doesn't account for the rest of the world. Covid-19 / Kung Flu / is calculating at a 4% mortality rate.
Current Flu numbers from the CDC there has already been 13 million cases this year across the globe and averages a 6% mortality.

The H1N1 virus several years ago affected 60.8 million in the US, and there wasn't this panic or quarantine mindset that is crippling the economy.

I'm certainly not wishing ill on anyone, and hopefully not trying to seem like a D!ck with this post. I truly hope no one on this forum has sick relative or worse yet someone close to them that has passed from this. But just stating the numbers aren't adding up and that's looking at this with a medical background.

It may be that covid 19 turns out to be no worse than "average flu" however it will be some time before sufficient data will be available to make a judgement. At the moment the assumption seems to be that covid 19 will infect 100% of the people it contacts with various degrees of symptoms. The infection rates for "Flu" is generally known and is way less than 100% even though the fatality rate following infection may be 6 % which is higher than covid 19 seems to be.

Well, my shop is now shut down until April 7th, due to IL just shutting down all non-essential businesses. However, due to their repair business handling a lot for fire,police, and military, the repair department will still be open.

They will be shipping some things and manufacturers will be doing some drop shipping.

This is per their FB page. So you can still order.

I plan to stop by two shops in cave country tomorrow, one to get air and drop off a reg to be serviced and the other to pick up a tank that was serviced. Hopefully both shops are OK.

Saw this in another post somewhere (so not my idea) but I will try to make sure all of my regs and tanks are up to date on servicing, hydros, etc even if a little early. Figure anything will help these shops.

Stopped by one shop yesterday and there was some activity. I did drop off one reg and two tanks for service - still need to check records on a few more. I missed the other shop because of time but will see it next week.

My dive was at Ginnie and more people(and divers) were there than I expected. The three of us avoided contact with all and helped ourselves by spending 100 minutes under water:). At the Devils run, I saw one team of 4 OW divers, and including ourselves at least 7 cave teams.

Post an all call on the list thread, 24 hours to claim your spot and make a new list. Board traffic does seem to have dropped off for everything but coved posts and I understand there are a lot of people with income insecurity and planned trip losses so some will welcome moving back on the list while others will be happy to jump ahead.
This has actually been going on a lot longer than anything to do with the current crisis. I haven’t had any plates go out since the C-19 news so we’ll see how this goes. I’ve been busy with other work (thank god) and if or when it slows down I’ll resume plate stuff.

It may be that covid 19 turns out to be no worse than "average flu" however it will be some time before sufficient data will be available to make a judgement. At the moment the assumption seems to be that covid 19 will infect 100% of the people it contacts with various degrees of symptoms. The infection rates for "Flu" is generally known and is way less than 100% even though the fatality rate following infection may be 6 % which is higher than covid 19 seems to be.

The information you have provided is incorrect and may inhibit people from understanding the reality of the situation. You should revise or delete the misinformation.

The information you have provided is incorrect and may inhibit people from understanding the reality of the situation. You should revise or delete the misinformation.
Exactly. Here in North Italy the virus is hitting much harder than even the more pessimist could forecast. There are cities, like Bergamo and Brescia, where people dying everyday are 3-5 times more than normal. The hospitals are packed with people with severe symptoms, but there are not enough intensive-care beds for all of them. So many are sent back to home, without even being tested, where they die without being counted as coronavirus-related, as they were not hospitalised.
The system cannot perform all the tests which would be required, so the number of infected people is grossly underestimated (according to epidemiologists, the real number is 3 to 5 times larger than the officially reported one).
Doctors and nurses are being infected and are dying, too. Even if young.
It is really frustrating reading that people still think that "it is not that bad".
It is worst, much worst than what described even in alarmistic news...
Which means that all businesses related to frivolous activities such as scuba diving should prepare for the worst. Time to change job.
I am sorry to break the illusions of people still thinking that this will be just a spring storm, this is instead a whole world change.

Unfortunately there are still to few in the US are accepting the reality. It is so easy to see with Italy's real world example of what can happen right in front of us.

Same here. My brother in law just saw 4-5 supermarket employees talking closely together. When he said they should be 6 feet apart they gave him the look. If it were in NYC they'd have given the finger-- oh wait, NYC streets appear deserted anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom