How does a new diver select the right gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

some of the best wetsuits and drysuits in the world are made very close to where you live in Portland so you can definitely support local business with not only regulators, but also exposure protection.

O'Three? Don't laugh but I didnt actually know where they are based! I'm looking at a new drysuit though... Thanks for the pointer.

If you're planning to do all your diving on vacation for now, consider renting as much as possible until you know what you want. Take good notes in your logbook about what brands you used and how you liked them.

When diving locally, owning is freedom and renting is a hassle; you have to make two trips to the dive shop immediately before and after every dive day. For me that means sitting in Friday evening rush hour traffic in LA, which has a suck index almost as high as diving's fun index. The rental costs add up, and they especially sting when you end up not even getting to dive because of weather or illness.

But when you dive on vacation, renting can feel like freedom and owning can be a hassle. My suitcase with just my dive gear was almost exactly 50 pounds on the way out, and it was over 50 on the way back from my recent trip because my wetsuit didn't dry. I had to carry this wet smelly thing in a bag to avoid the $100 overweight luggage surcharge. And I didn't even have my reg or camera in my suitcase; I carried those on to protect them, leaving me very little room for non-diving stuff. Since it was a liveaboard, I didn't begrudge all the baggage; I wanted my special gear that I spent months picking out for a vacation that was basically just eat, sleep, and dive. But honestly, the two trips I did before I owned much more than a mask were so convenient. One of them I managed with just a backpack.

For now, get a mask that doesn't touch your face anywhere but the skirt and stays put without a strap when you inhale slightly through your nose. Get a snorkel, fins and booties if you have to for your course; I really wish more shops would allow you to rent those. (OK, a snorkel should be cheap enough to buy, wear until you're certified, and then do with what you will. I'm not a fan, personally; mine stays in my dive bag, but opinions differ. I don't think very many people think the choice of snorkel type or brand is critical.) And maybe think about a computer, just because it's nice to get familiar with where all the numbers are on the face. There are several perfectly fine entry-level computers for around $200, and it's also a perfectly fine thing to buy used, which can cut the price in half.

Start buying when you start feeling like not owning is holding you back. Then spend some time here and talking to local divers to figure out what you want.

If you're planning to do all your diving on vacation for now, consider renting as much as possible until you know what you want. Take good notes in your logbook about what brands you used and how you liked them.

When diving locally, owning is freedom and renting is a hassle; you have to make two trips to the dive shop immediately before and after every dive day. For me that means sitting in Friday evening rush hour traffic in LA, which has a suck index almost as high as diving's fun index. The rental costs add up, and they especially sting when you end up not even getting to dive because of weather or illness.

But when you dive on vacation, renting can feel like freedom and owning can be a hassle. My suitcase with just my dive gear was almost exactly 50 pounds on the way out, and it was over 50 on the way back from my recent trip because my wetsuit didn't dry. I had to carry this wet smelly thing in a bag to avoid the $100 overweight luggage surcharge. And I didn't even have my reg or camera in my suitcase; I carried those on to protect them, leaving me very little room for non-diving stuff. Since it was a liveaboard, I didn't begrudge all the baggage; I wanted my special gear that I spent months picking out for a vacation that was basically just eat, sleep, and dive. But honestly, the two trips I did before I owned much more than a mask were so convenient. One of them I managed with just a backpack.

For now, get a mask that doesn't touch your face anywhere but the skirt and stays put without a strap when you inhale slightly through your nose. Get a snorkel, fins and booties if you have to for your course; I really wish more shops would allow you to rent those. (OK, a snorkel should be cheap enough to buy, wear until you're certified, and then do with what you will. I'm not a fan, personally; mine stays in my dive bag, but opinions differ. I don't think very many people think the choice of snorkel type or brand is critical.) And maybe think about a computer, just because it's nice to get familiar with where all the numbers are on the face. There are several perfectly fine entry-level computers for around $200, and it's also a perfectly fine thing to buy used, which can cut the price in half.

Start buying when you start feeling like not owning is holding you back. Then spend some time here and talking to local divers to figure out what you want.

Yup. All that. And now you know everything you need to about gear.

Check to see if there is a dive club in your area. Preferably one not associated with a dive shop. Most dive clubs will have a forum that you can ask questions and get recommendations in your area. Our dive club, (Oklahoma Aquanauts) have enough members that we have someone diving every weekend of the year. Most love taken out new divers and showing them the best diving in the area. Plus we take short weekend trips to some of the quarries or special places to dive.

Regulators are one of those products where buying up the line can give you diminishing returns. Atomic Aquatics is a reputable brand; my primary reg. is their B2. They have some high-end reg.s that have more titanium and are a bit lighter in weight. Ah, but look at those prices... Not worth it to me, or to many others.

Be aware regulators need to be serviced from time to time. It may be useful to buy a regulator of a brand that a local dive shop services. This may be one of those purchases worth making at the LDS in question. Sort of a 'show of good faith.'

Get a weight-integrated BCD if you get a jacket style BCD. You can still use a weight-belt if you prefer, but if you don't buy a weight-integrated BCD, you're stuck using a weight belt regardless of what you prefer .

Oh, cutting tools. At some point you'll probably want one or two. You don't need a knife that looks Tarzan could fight crocodiles with it. Cutting tools are often chosen with entanglement hazards like fishing line and old net in mind, not doing battle with sharks, etc...

It's not just about knives; there are also line cutters, shears, Trilobytes (and DiveGearExpress.com's EZ Cutter (? spelling ) that's very similar with a ceramic blade that shouldn't rust), etc...

If you get a line cutter or knife, you'll be looking at stainless steel (which unlike your BCD D-rings will rust in not cared for pretty carefully) or titanium (roughly double the cost, light weight), and where knives are concerned, with Spyderco brand includes some with H1 steel.

Titanium and H1 steel are roughly double the cost of a stainless steel version, and extremely rust resistant - which is nice if, like me, you don't take special care of them. When your stainless steel knife rusts up and you buy another, the cost savings disappear.

Some people take a cheap steak knife (for the serrations), snap the pointy end off, and use it as a disposable cheapie. Speaking of which, some people prefer blunt-tip knives in case they drop it and it falls face down.

The Trilobyte is very popular since you can put it on BCD or BP/W webbing, it's very small and low profile, and doesn't look like a knife.

A spare o-ring kit can be nice. If you take a scuba tool with you on plan trips, but it in checked luggage. I had it in a carry on and wasn't allowed at the airport in Grand Cayman; I didn't want to go back and try to get it in checked, so I gave it up.

Human spit works as defog. You can use commercial defog if you want to.

The Trilobyte is very popular since you can put it on BCD or BP/W webbing, it's very small and low profile, and doesn't look like a knife.

Mine is on my wrist computer straps. I also carry a knife and a pair of emt shears.

Baby shampoo for mask defogging. My spit doesn't work well. Well, well enough, like the shampoo does every time.

O'Three? Don't laugh but I didnt actually know where they are based! I'm looking at a new drysuit though... Thanks for the pointer.
On the left as you drive onto Portland Bill, across the road from Chessil Beach. Underwater Explorers (dirdirect.com) are about 100yds away so you can really give your credit card a pounding while you're there :).

There are great recommendations here. I would also recommend watching Alex Peirce's Scuba Tech Tips on YouTube. He covers this very topic and has more videos on each piece of gear, which gives you a better idea of how they function, to better understand what to look for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom