How does a new diver select the right gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David_Ramsey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Let's say a new diver is interested in purchasing basic gear like a mask, boots, wetsuit, and fins. Are there any guidelines for each of these to know if it's the right selection for *you*? Aside from trying it on and seeing if it feels like it fits, are there any expert tips that a beginner wouldn't know for selecting the right gear?

I've seen so many new divers, full of excitement and enthusiasm, rush down to the dive shop and buy everything the sales staff puts on the counter...
and make some really poor choices.

I rented and borrowed gear for my first year of diving.
This helped me determine what I liked and didn't like,
Which manufacturers produced quality,
What gear I really needed, and what gear was just added fluff.

I also used the time to see what the more experienced divers were using, and what gear was most appropriate for where I was diving.
I soaked up all the advise they were willing to share with me.
You're more likely to get an honest opinion from a diver you meet on a boat or a beach, rather than the salesman in the dive shop.

Gradually I started making purchases one piece at a time.
When I walked into a dive shop I knew what I wanted... but also what I didn't need.
This strategy must have worked, because after twenty-three years I'm still using some of the first gear I bought, including my main set of regs and computer.

K.

Because people would demo stuff and then go buy it on Amazon.....

I guess I’m just the opposite. I’m more likely to buy in store if they allow demos or exchanges. I drive almost 7 hours 1 way to go to a dive shop. Have 3 within an hour but can’t stand them.

I guess I’m just the opposite. I’m more likely to buy in store if they allow demos or exchanges. I drive almost 7 hours 1 way to go to a dive shop. Have 3 within an hour but can’t stand them.

7 hours? how many time zones is that? now that's loyalty.

Find some buddies that will let you try their gear.

find a good dive shop that has a good sized demo case.

On that note I’ve never understood why more dive shops don’t have demo cases. Or at least a decent return policy.

return policies are very expensive to a business, especially on things like wetsuits and booties. If they get returned they basically have to accept them into their rental fleet.
Demo cases are different though, but realistically they need to move their rental fleets from the stuff they can buy at the cheapest price point as dedicated rental gear, to the stuff they are trying to sell which is much more expensive. Some shops do this, but they are few and far between.

@greeniguana if that's the case, then the shops need to fix their business model and figure out how to compete or go out of business. That's on them.

@David_Ramsey
Your best bet is to begin with the end in mind.
You came to the right place to ask for advice before purchase. This forum has everyone from future-divers to some of the most advanced technical instructors in the world, true legends that helped found the industry back in the day. This forum also has a bad reputation within the recreational dive community because we call them out on their BS and try to prevent new divers from being ripped off.

There are a myriad of discussions on how to sift through all of the gear that you're asking about on here and I'm sure this thread will include it. What I will ask before I weigh my $0.02 in are the following. Which shop are you planning on going through and what brands do they sell? There are certain things that I think are worth buying from your LDS. Masks and wetsuits are two of them. What are your ultimate diving goals? Where do you intend to dive, what kind of diving are you interested in? Will you be diving a lot locally in the PDRA quarries? Those are the kinds of things that help us narrow down some interesting choices that you may want to look at.

I've seen so many new divers, full of excitement and enthusiasm, rush down to the dive shop and buy everything the sales staff puts on the counter...
and make some really poor choices.

I rented and borrowed gear for my first year of diving.
This helped me determine what I liked and didn't like,
Which manufacturers produced quality,
What gear I really needed, and what gear was just added fluff.

I also used the time to see what the more experienced divers were using, and what gear was most appropriate for where I was diving.
I soaked up all the advise they were willing to share with me.
You're more likely to get an honest opinion from a diver you meet on a boat or a beach, rather than the salesman in the dive shop.

Gradually I started making purchases one piece at a time.
When I walked into a dive shop I knew what I wanted... but also what I didn't need.
This strategy must have worked, because after twenty-three years I'm still using some of the first gear I bought, including my main set of regs and computer.

K.

I would only add to this great post...will you be diving local or will travel a lot. I was the ding bat that bought the sale stuff.

Back
Top Bottom