How does a new diver select the right gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey @tbone1004 you know eventually I'll just come down there to Greenville and bug you in person if you keep being this helpful, right?

it's much nicer than Charlotte... Though I did do quite a few musicals at the Matthews Playhouse when I lived there

Try lots of dives with different gear from dive shops. I do wear a bright red T shirt and Blue shorts... makes it easy for people to find me especially when newbies can get confused by all the divers wearing nearly the same outfits. lol

I do bring a snorkel. always good to have on the surface. I never wear a wet suit unless the water is 24c or below.

SCREENSHOT.jpg

I was never really squicked out by rental wetsuits or regs, but if you are, I think that's a perfectly valid reason to buy your own.

As others have said, the single most important thing with wetsuits is fit. It's not just a matter of figuring out what size you are; some brands have a little more room in the torso, some a little more in the arms and legs, etc. I saw some reviews of the Aqualung Aquaflex, for example, that mentioned the neck being really tight. I've seen other reviews, can't remember now which suit they were for, mentioning the wrists were too small. Obviously you don't want a suit that strangles you, but you also don't want one that's too big in those areas, as it'll let too much water in. Try on at least a few brands and get what works for you.

I dive with a Henderson Thermaxx, which is cheaper than most competitors but I believe only available through dive shops, not online. Mine is a 7mm; I'm not sure what a 3mm costs, but see if you can try one of those on for size. Dive shop employees are usually very knowledgeable about their merchandise; if you tell them what's wrong with the suit you just tried on, they can help you find something that works better.

Music Man is my favourite--I've played it twice in the pit.

last time I did it, I was playing reed 1 and reed 3 at the same time. That was an experience trying to "double" out of two books.

Matthews Playhouse seems a little small for all those trombones and cornets. Of course what do I know, I'm not a musician.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom