BCD remove and replacement with long hose configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I forgot to add in my first post, the clip on the long hose is so you can clip it to your d ring, if your doffing using the necklace clip it off. I use it gearing up and when I get out of water.

Not trying to be argumentative, just using your post as an example, I don't believe my way is the absolute way to do things, but here is some of my thoughts:

Typically when one uses long hose setup their octo is on a short hose and hung on a bungee or other type of necklace to stow it between their chin and chest area depending on how small the necklace is made. The low pressure hose is typically between 22 and 26 inches long. The long hose, is recommended to have a bolt snap attached so it can be clipped off before and after the dive so the primary 2nd stage does not hit or drag on the ground. The bolt snap can be used but is not typically meant to be used to clip of the primary 2nd stage during a dive unless one has a 2nd stage issue and switches to their octo for the remainder of the dive, be that an immediate ascent to the surface or after consideration of all factors to continue the dive. Otherwise the primary 2nd stage would either be in the wearer's mouth or the mouth of someone they are sharing their air source with.

If one is only doffing/donning their gear as a matter demonstrating the skill then swapping to the octo for the duration is plausible but beyond just taking one's rig off and immediately putting it back on then that short 22 to 26 inch hose does not give one much length to really manipulate their rig and inspect things. Not sure why one would do this when they can do it comfortably with the 2nd stage with the long hose in their mouth.

In my previous response I mentioned I would pull my primary 2nd stage out and switch to my octo before pulling off the necklace. The reality is that I would only do that if demonstrating for educational purposes. In actuality I would just pop my primary out of my mouth with one hand and reach back and remove the necklace with the other then pop my primary back in my mouth with the hand it is being held with. The timeframe my 2nd stage is out of my mouth is only 1 to 3 seconds and I can blow bubbles for that long without problems. During the maneuver I can always stick my primary back in my mouth or stick the octo in my mouth should that need arise.

It was recommended me, when I first started diving a long hose configuration to attach my bolt snap to the hose far enough away from the 2nd stage so that one can put the 2nd stage in their mouth and breath off it while it is clipped off (just in case one forgets to unclip it for some reason before splashing...never happened to me and the only time I can see this happening is if one does their buddy check before walking to the water's edge for a beach type entry and then enters the water without unclipping their 2nd stage, this apparently has happened enough that there is a recommendation for where the bolt snap is attached).

-Z

In 4,200 dives I have never had to remove my BCD underwater. Over the past 31 years I have wondered why the agencies teach this!
Lucky you. I've seen gear removal underwater for things like a tank valve getting caught in a piece of fishing net, inspecting a blown or leaking hose, or a DM in Cozumel who got her spear gun snagged while she was trying to pull it out to shoot a lion fish back you used to be able to do that. One of our instructors, a prolific wreck diver, always brings up the scenario of trying to squeeze into a small opening to penetrate a wreck when he teaches this skill. Some openings are big enough for your gear, big enough for you, but not big enough for you and your gear at the same time.

I'm a recreational diver. When I learned scuba diving in my OW course, I didn't know that there is a "long hose configuration" like below image.
View attachment 556275
Now since I found that some of the agencies or divers are following this configuration, I start to wonder how to proceed BC remove&replacement skill with this setup? Because if I remove left arm first as the traditional way it seems that the long hose will stuck me. Do I switch to the short hose first or do I remove the right arm first? If I have to switch to the short hose first, where should I clip the long hose to avoid tangling?
Why do you want to use a long hose for open water diving?

Lucky you. I've seen gear removal underwater for things like a tank valve getting caught in a piece of fishing net, inspecting a blown or leaking hose, or a DM in Cozumel who got her spear gun snagged while she was trying to pull it out to shoot a lion fish back you used to be able to do that. One of our instructors, a prolific wreck diver, always brings up the scenario of trying to squeeze into a small opening to penetrate a wreck when he teaches this skill. Some openings are big enough for your gear, big enough for you, but not big enough for you and your gear at the same time.

Or gets swallowed by giant clam (see other post on scubaboard)

Not trying to be argumentative, just using your post as an example, I don't believe my way is the absolute way to do things, but here is some of my thoughts:

Typically when one uses long hose setup their octo is on a short hose and hung on a bungee or other type of necklace to stow it between their chin and chest area depending on how small the necklace is made. The low pressure hose is typically between 22 and 26 inches long. The long hose, is recommended to have a bolt snap attached so it can be clipped off before and after the dive so the primary 2nd stage does not hit or drag on the ground. The bolt snap can be used but is not typically meant to be used to clip of the primary 2nd stage during a dive unless one has a 2nd stage issue and switches to their octo for the remainder of the dive, be that an immediate ascent to the surface or after consideration of all factors to continue the dive. Otherwise the primary 2nd stage would either be in the wearer's mouth or the mouth of someone they are sharing their air source with.

If one is only doffing/donning their gear as a matter demonstrating the skill then swapping to the octo for the duration is plausible but beyond just taking one's rig off and immediately putting it back on then that short 22 to 26 inch hose does not give one much length to really manipulate their rig and inspect things. Not sure why one would do this when they can do it comfortably with the 2nd stage with the long hose in their mouth.

In my previous response I mentioned I would pull my primary 2nd stage out and switch to my octo before pulling off the necklace. The reality is that I would only do that if demonstrating for educational purposes. In actuality I would just pop my primary out of my mouth with one hand and reach back and remove the necklace with the other then pop my primary back in my mouth with the hand it is being held with. The timeframe my 2nd stage is out of my mouth is only 1 to 3 seconds and I can blow bubbles for that long without problems. During the maneuver I can always stick my primary back in my mouth or stick the octo in my mouth should that need arise.

It was recommended me, when I first started diving a long hose configuration to attach my bolt snap to the hose far enough away from the 2nd stage so that one can put the 2nd stage in their mouth and breath off it while it is clipped off (just in case one forgets to unclip it for some reason before splashing...never happened to me and the only time I can see this happening is if one does their buddy check before walking to the water's edge for a beach type entry and then enters the water without unclipping their 2nd stage, this apparently has happened enough that there is a recommendation for where the bolt snap is attached).

-Z

We are basically saying the same thing, your just going into more detail.

Reactions: Zef
I was kinda wondering the same thing, why do you want to dive a long hose? To square up with your buddies configuration? To do cave, penetration diving where single file may be needed to exit safely and deco diving? To prepare for future technical aspirations?

The standard configuration of donating an octopus secondary on a 36/44 inch hose works fine and allows side by side swimming and ascent. The 60 inch and 72 inch hoses are only needed to exist single file while sharing air or, just to be all techie and cool I suppose.

Yes, it slightly complicates doff and don but nothing practice should not quickly solve.

N

Why do you want to use a long hose for open water diving?
I was kinda wondering the same thing, why do you want to dive a long hose?
Probably best for another thread. I always wear a long hose even if there is no remote possibility of any penetration. I also teach my OW students to use one.
  • It's easy
  • It's far easier to find your regs
  • Easier to deal with BC dof and don
  • It's easier to swim while donating
  • It sets them up to take tech courses, including cavern
  • I'm used to it and like it
FWIW, I don't have an problem with leaving my primary in my mouth and leaving my secondary attached to the bungee around my neck while doffing and donning. With the BC on my chest, I can reach anywhere on my BC. Just be sure to spin left to get out and then spin right to get back in.

I was kinda wondering the same thing, why do you want to dive a long hose? To square up with your buddies configuration? To do cave, penetration diving where single file may be needed to exit safely and deco diving? To prepare for future technical aspirations?

The standard configuration of donating an octopus secondary on a 36/44 inch hose works fine and allows side by side swimming and ascent. The 60 inch and 72 inch hoses are only needed to exist single file while sharing air or, just to be all techie and cool I suppose.

Yes, it slightly complicates doff and don but nothing practice should not quickly solve.

N

The "standard " configuration ends up a messy disaster of hoses sticking off your gear.long hose is a more comfortable configuration, with better air sharing potential, less entanglement hazards, and sets a dicer up for familiarity going forward into more advanced classes.

This^^^.

Whether I dive singles or doubles, my set up is the same. Aluminum backplate or SS, doesn't matter. My d-rings are in the same place. My light is in the same place. My cutter is in the same place. My buddy knows my rig; I know his.

I know my rig blind and like a long hose. The only thing that changes is the number of tanks on my back.

I didn't want to start off with a pure rec rig only to have to change it down the road. But once. Buy right.

• It's easy
  • It's far easier to find your regs
  • Easier to deal with BC dof and don
I disagree. None of those bullet points are easier than say an Air2 and 40 inch primary. Which is a great open water setup. The OP said he's a recreational diver and didn't mention a desire to do cave or wreck penetrations.

Back
Top Bottom