Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Except for not explaining long hoses as well as he should have, he's right overall. 99% of the divers out there expect to be grabbing a bright yellow reg during an out of air emergency, and there should be a bright yellow reg for them to grab. I know this violates the religion of the DIR folks, but ya'll are more of a cult anyway. Alec teaches to normal divers, and generally does a good job of it (except for that cringy rental gear thing he did some years back).

Actually, PADI did publish a training update a couple years back about donating the primary as an option in OW courses. SSI has been doing so forever.

Given that some percentage of PADI and SSI divers are taught to donate the primary (and this is the overwhelming majority of divers), it is more than 1% of divers who would donate the primary. Plus, most cases of people getting mugged by an OOG diver lost their primary.

Grandpa is a little bit confused about the configuration, but the part about whether an OOA diver is going to grab the reg in the other diver's mouth or the diver's other reg can be reasonably debated, and has been ad nauseam on SB. I do love his other videos, though, and I could sit and listen to him explain anything. He's a really engaging speaker.

Grandpa is a little bit confused about the configuration, but the part about whether an OOA diver is going to grab the reg in the other diver's mouth or the diver's other reg can be reasonably debated, and has been ad nauseam on SB. I do love his other videos, though, and I could sit and listen to him explain anything. He's a really engaging speaker.
Yea it’s too bad he didn’t do his homework because people are gonna be fixating on his mistakes rather than his main point.

Pretty good example of people who think there an authority on a subject but are actually the opposite.

The real shame is that people will watch this and believe him.

Ugh.

That's my worry... chances he'll do homework or listen and fix? I hope the chances are high.....

- Jake

Thanks for fixing that.

Says the guy that went straight for a pointless dig instead of anything of substance.

Back to the actual discussion, there's a lot wrong there, which is a shame. I've gotten a lot of good info from Alec over the years. But there's so little research done here. Everything from the hose routing, to which reg is donated, to the tradeoffs of using both configurations. It's bad. He's not wrong that most people are familiar with the standard octo configuration or that a long hose isn't totally necessary in rec diving. But the rest of it is sorely in need of a follow up/correction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom