Do you carry a backup SPG to your AI computer? If so- check this out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

get real. Seems a bit dumb to go to something I have to squint at and guess what the actual pressure is when my full size guage is nominaly bigger and yeilds far more accuracy at no real penalty..

I'm not really seeing that. (Pun intended).

Here's a side by side comparison, my old vs new gauge. There's a lot of "dead white space" on the large gauge. On the smaller button, I have no problem seeing the needle and the increments between the 1000 marks- the accuracy difference will be negligible as will the readability in the rare case I might need it some day in the event of a failure of my AI computer.

IMG-2686.jpg

I just use the button gauge directly on my first stage. Handy to check the tank is full. I trust the AI transmitter, and use two receivers. If necessary, I could get my buddy to look at the button and relay the info to me.

I have two receivers also. Primary on the wrist and a backup on a retractor in a BCD pocket. Probably overkill with the backup SPG but hey you never know. I dive solo a lot so no buddy around to check a first stage mounted gauge.

I'm not really seeing that. (Pun intended).

Here's a side by side comparison, my old vs new gauge. There's a lot of "dead white space" on the large gauge, I have no problem seeing the needle and the increments between the 1000 marks- the accuracy difference will be negligible as will the readability in the rare case I might need it some day in the event of a failure of my AI computer.

View attachment 522109

I use the same SPG but without the rubber housing.

I use a 2” dia. thin SPG made by Highland with 1/4” Miflex HP hose without right angle adapter (avoiding another failure point). It is pretty small but big enough display to read the pressure fairly accurately. The SPG pressure reading and that of my AI dive computer (SUUNTO Cobra 2) are within +/- 50 psi.

1176DF23-5D6B-4F66-9957-96277F3EF8BA.jpeg

57A7EA8C-0147-4BE7-B096-D301A10D6AE4.jpeg

I strap it onto the right shoulder strap since my 1st stage HP ports are 120-degree apart (Scubapro MK 25).

1DC40726-106A-4427-92C2-4302DEC0B2EB.jpeg

The other HP 1/4” Miflex hose is hooked up to the Cobra 2 in the left shoulder strap, next to LP power inflator.

5C588347-46AD-4795-A53F-3BB7138652DF.jpeg

4875068F-8911-4172-9B06-3EBB8C013BA6.jpeg

I'd say you have a real octopus there Dan. My reg set has two hoses. One for the first stage and one for the Air2.

Same with my dive buddy who grumbles once in a while when his AI dive computer lost pressure reading.

For recreational diving I don't understand why people spend so much for AI and then obsess over how to also attach an SPG to their kit. If I didn't trust the AI I would have saved $300-$400 by not buying the sender for my computer. For me the SPG resides in a save-a-dive bag, and I don't have an extra hose coming off my first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom