Why shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there anywhere in the Caribbean that the coral is healthy? I'm not talking compared with the Pacific, but noticeably healthier than, say, Bonaire? Healthier enough that it's worth spending more money on a trip, if necessary.

I thought the corals were healthy in GCM, but I thought the fish life was missing.

The one thing I haven't read is how anyone takes and protects their cell phone. Does no one ever have a problem and need emergency services? If this is not the case, how do you hide your cell phone to call for help? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

The one thing I haven't heard is how anyone takes and protects their cell phone. Does no one every have a problem and need emergency services? If this is not the case, how do you hide your cell phone to call for help? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
As soon as the cabin door shuts in ATL I turn mine off until I land a week later. In over a hundred dives on Bonaire I have never missed it. You could certainly protect one in a LifeProof case though. I don't leave anything in the truck if I am shore diving and the boat has a radio in the rare instance I find myself on one. I do dive conservatively in Bonaire to always provide some extra cushion of safety. I never feel as though I am missing anything by doing so as the cool stuff is in less than 40' of water usually.

The one thing I haven't read is how anyone takes and protects their cell phone. Does no one ever have a problem and need emergency services? If this is not the case, how do you hide your cell phone to call for help? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
I've, at times, hid my phone under a seat cover, but I usually leave it at home. I'm a fan of cutting ties from society while I'm there.

There are a couple of techniques for concealing valuables. You can pop the hood and stow anything in amidst the engine somewhere, or hide whatever in some nearby bushes or behind a rock, etc.

You could rent a cheap one on the island and stick it in an underwater case to avoid jeopardizing an expensive recent generation smart phone.

Richard.

I suspect few people bring a phone when they head out in their truck to go diving, or they "hide" one in the truck and pray that nobody liberates it. For my first few trips to Bonaire I just ignored the potential problem of needing to make an emergency call. I generally don't use my phone much on vacations. My last trip I finally decided to get more responsible and bought a PLB canister for my phone. The little voice in my head echoed my Rescue Diver class, where I recalled being advised to always have a plan in place, phone numbers to call, etc. Also, it's not just medical-type emergencies that concern me on Bonaire, but also perhaps needing to call the truck rental company if something happens to the truck. We once had a flat tire at night and ended up calling the company after we discovered the fairly unusable rusted-out jack and tools, but fortunately that happened when we were on our way home from dinner, not while out diving, so several of us had phones with us. But it occurred to me that had we been on our way home from a night dive it might have been more difficult to get help.

Anyone know how much a local burner phone would cost? I've never had much luck actually getting service on Bonaire with my Verizon plan. I just use my phone with wifi. Sorry, but no way am I trusting my smartphone to a water-proof box.

Back
Top Bottom