Depth Gauge or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys understand that we are talking about a gauge that is maybe 10oz.. A pound if you get the biggest one you can find... It's adding maybe 3" to the length of the SPG... This sounds like talking about getting a hose that's 1" shorter so you're more streamline and you'll have a great SAC rate...

And the diver has a camera that is 15lbs and 6 lights sticking out...

Jim..

My interest is in how many redundancies is plenty, and would an analog depth gauge ever save my repetitive dive plan for the day. Considering two computers between my wife and I, I'm not hearing a convincing argument that an additional gauge would save anything. Trying to apply a modern K.I.S.S. methodology, i.e. carry the stuff that helps; don't carry the stuff that is of nominal value.

You guys understand that we are talking about a gauge that is maybe 10oz.. A pound if you get the biggest one you can find... It's adding maybe 3" to the length of the SPG... This sounds like talking about getting a hose that's 1" shorter so you're more streamline and you'll have a great SAC rate...

And the diver has a camera that is 15lbs and 6 lights sticking out...

Jim..

My 2" Highland Thin Line SPG with 1/4" x 30" Miflex hose, as shown in post 4 (page 1) weight almost negligible relative to the 12 pound weight that I usually need for diving with with 3mm full wetsuit. My SAC of 0.4 cfm also has not been affected by this additional gadget.

My interest is in how many redundancies is plenty, and would an analog depth gauge ever save my repetitive dive plan for the day. Considering two computers between my wife and I, I'm not hearing a convincing argument that an additional gauge would save anything. Trying to apply a modern K.I.S.S. methodology, i.e. carry the stuff that helps; don't carry the stuff that is of nominal value.

So, if your dive computer ran out of battery in the middle of a week-long expensive liveaboard trip, like what happened to me in Galápagos, what would you do?

So, if your dive computer ran out of battery in the middle of a week-long expensive liveaboard trip, like what happened to me in Galápagos, what would you do?
You clearly have the wrong computer.

Mine show the battery life right on the face. When I see one is starting to get low, I open it up and put in a new one.

With all the computer models out there that have user-replaceable batteries, I can't think of a reason to own one you need to take to a shop to replace.

I specifically bought two Oceanic computers that have user replaceable batteries. If the battery is replaced within 8 seconds its memory cache is still there. (Because it is user replaceable, I'd likely have them both swapped out for new before we hit the boat.) It is also a system that warns me before the dive if the battery is low. If it reaches the "low" battery threshold during the dive it will continue to function for that dive (rec diving, no extended deco stops). I have a spare battery and o-ring set in my save-a-dive kit. Assuming a failure of one computer, would you consider a second computer on on a close buddy as less accurate than using tables, dive time from the buddy's comp, and a square dive profile with an analog gauge?

I also suspect that if I were spending multiple $k on a LOB trip I'd spring for the cheapest backups I could find. A couple of Pucks or BUDs.

Reactions: Dan
You clearly have the wrong computer.

Mine show the battery life right on the face. When I see one is starting to get low, I open it up and put in a new one.

With all the computer models out there that have user-replaceable batteries, I can't think of a reason to own one you need to take to a shop to replace.

Live & learn :) Ever since that happened to me, I carry spare battery & the right screwdriver to do DIY battery change on my SUUNTO D4 & Cobra3. Problem solved. :)

I send them to SUUNTO service every other DYI for calibration & battery change.

Last edited:
Use the computer on my other wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom