Return to Diving After Cardiac Arrest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rkinder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
On July 15, 2013 I had a Cardiac Arrest, following a river recovery of a drowning victim. My arrest occurred on dry land, not in the water. As I approach my 2 year anniversary, I am looking for other divers that have experienced a cardiac arrest and returned to diving. There are several groups for survivors however I have not found other survivors that have returned to diving. Only several that wish they could. If your out there please share your story.

We are glad you came through and are back to enjoying what you love to do Bob! I just finished up a nice night dive with the wife at Jocassee. See you soon my friend!

A great deal of the return to diving depends on the origin of the cardiac arrest, and what, if anything, has been done about it. If it were due to coronary artery disease, which has subsequently been treated and resulted in no significant heart muscle damage, it might be quite possible to return to diving. If it was due to an arrythmia from a cardiomyopathy, not so much. If it was a tachydysrhythmia which has been treated with ablation and there has been no recurrence, one might consider diving; if control requires significant medication, perhaps not. Cardiac arrest can have multiple etiologies, and the course depends on the cause and the success of the treatment.

Dear TsandM,

I was hoping to hear from other SCA survivors that have returned to diving as I have. There is no doubt that a number of factors affect a persons ability to return to diving following many medical conditions not just cardiac events. I have completed in excess of 120 dives with 4000 minutes under water following my cardiac arrest with my doctors blessing. My hope is that there are others out there that could share their return to diving and any problems they have encountered, as well as their successes. We are a small group that survive and even a smaller group that returns to anything like our prior life.

The lord has been real good to me, and to my family I would never have expected to survive much less recover from my SCA, I have been truly blessed and given much more that my friends and family expected. In my case Lipitor started destroying many of my muscles, and caused cramping and pain that was unbearable. A friend had problems and let me know I stopped this drug and my muscles started to regenerate, this to me was just another small blessing.

So if you are a survivor please share your story and your return to diving.

Thank you.

Small update, it has been 4 years since I returned to a swimming pool to resume diving, fast forward to yesterday. I have been blessed over and over, during the last 4 years the Lord has allowed me to complete 400 open water dives after my Cardiac Arrest. With a total of 275 hours of bottom time,. in addition to about the same in pool time teaching. I have been able to serve my community as a Public Safety Diver and as a Swift Water Rescue Technician. I have been able to teach a number of courses and mentor new divers. And been privileged to recover 3 more victims including a diver.

My return is far and above what anyone could have predicted, and can only be thru blessings from a much higher power. My last two recoveries where done in 4 minutes and 6 minutes. In each case I said a simple prayer slipping under the water Lord Take me to them. My prayers where answered.

There is no answer as to why I have be so blessed, there have been many challenges, I can not suggest that anyone else return only that you must pray and listen to your body and medical advisers. For many of us survivors there will be no return to diving in fact our lives will be forever altered. Mine has been as well, life is a little different, I see things thru different eyes. My dives are something special, more time is spent looking for small rewards while in the water like seeing a small fish defending a small nook from others it's own safe space.

To all facing recovery after difficult medical problems find your new normal, life is still possible, support your community to the best of your ability, make life count. For families reading this it is ok to worry but please support and encourage a return to a new normal, it may be just helping other divers get in and out of the water but don't cut them off from something that they love, help them keep in touch with a wonderful group of folks that make up the diving community.

Congratulations on your great success and triumphant return to diving! You may consider your great blessings as "karma"; as a PSD the good works you've done for others is returning to you. We offend ask why divine intervention doesn't happen more often; often we don't recognize it as such. IMO anyway. Good luck and thanks for your service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom