Question Help with deciding a land based dive resort in Raja Ampat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All finalized! Cove Eco Resort, standard air conditioned cottage w/3 dives a day for 2 weeks in February 2025.
One last question, does anybody take malaria medicine prior to or during their stay in Raja Ampat? I am a mosquito magnet.
Again, thank you all for the great input and suggestions!

Malaria meds were not required when I was there in November and December 2022. It won't hurt to bring mosquito repellent. Check Wirecutter for good ones.

For future reference, Misool Eco Resort is apparently well-known for vegetarian food. It's a very expensive resort though.

Mossie does not just transmit malaria only, there are other nasties eg. dengue fever, Japanese Encephalitis and Zika etc etc.

How to prevent getting bitten by mossie?

AC does not stop mossie from flying around in the room because the female needs fresh blood to produce eggs.
House keeping tends to make up the room with the door fully open.
Malaria prophylaxis is NOT 100% effective.
I used to take two different kinds and eventually decided that my liver probably does not like being pumped with chemicals for extended period of time yr after yr. So I stopped.
I used to travel with mossie net but gave up the practice many yrs ago. Probably too lazy/complacency.
I only use Eucalyptus based mossie repellent when travelling in SE Asia. DEET is probably still the best.

Repellent and insecticide-treated net(make sure the net is huge) probably is the best for concerned person.

@DirtFish
You really have to decide it for yourself on health issue.

However, I was having a minor issue with condensation inside my (plastic) camera housing. Being able to load the camera in an air conditioned room might have helped with that. But I'd rather not contribute to global warming by using AC just for such a minor issue.

Raja4Divers bungalows are over the water also and no AC, but have fans. The wind breeze is cool enough at night to sleep without AC.

To address condensation issue inside cameras, they have a camera room with AC.

All finalized! Cove Eco Resort, standard air conditioned cottage w/3 dives a day for 2 weeks in February 2025.
One last question, does anybody take malaria medicine prior to or during their stay in Raja Ampat? I am a mosquito magnet.
I have been to this area many times and did 14 days land based. I did not take anti-malarial. 20% picaridin (Proven Insect Repellent lotion is my favorite.) I also use a rechargeable Thermacell device. No bites and I have O type blood so statistically am more attractive to them, will get bitten during the day and when no one else gets bitten, and suffer from skeeter syndrome (am very allergic).

Can recommend Papua Paradise as well as Papua Explorer. The latter is closer to the most famous Dampier Strait's location. The former is more chill and a bit more luxurious.

When I was there last November/December, I did not take malaria meds. Some of the meds have weird side effects, especially for divers. The side effects can be uncomfortable in themselves, so it's recommended to take them before, not during, the trip. I took a large spray can of Picaridin, which I used up, a travel-size 50% Deet spray can, Repel Deet wipes, along with Permethrin treated clothing. I also have this little device called Bug Bite Thing, which sucks the venom out of the bite, thereby reducing your body's reaction, and it really works. It was on Shark Tank a few years ago. Bug Bite Thing | Insect Bite Relief | Suction Tool I also have hydrocortisone cream.

I only got bit twice in 30 days. I have an allergic reaction (lots of swelling) to mosquito bites and I'm a mosquito magnet. My mosquito kit is much like a diabetics kit, in a separate carry pouch and it goes everywhere with me.

When I was there last November/December, I did not take malaria meds. Some of the meds have weird side effects, especially for divers. The side effects can be uncomfortable in themselves, so it's recommended to take them before, not during, the trip. I took a large spray can of Picaridin, which I used up, a travel-size 50% Deet spray can, Repel Deet wipes, along with Permethrin treated clothing. I also have this little device called Bug Bite Thing, which sucks the venom out of the bite, thereby reducing your body's reaction, and it really works. It was on Shark Tank a few years ago. Bug Bite Thing | Insect Bite Relief | Suction Tool I also have hydrocortisone cream.

I only got bit twice in 30 days. I have an allergic reaction (lots of swelling) to mosquito bites and I'm a mosquito magnet. My mosquito kit is much like a diabetics kit, in a separate carry pouch and it goes everywhere with me.
Insect Shield (permethrin) clothing is awesome! The factory treated ones last longer (70 launderings) but you can do it yourself at home with shorter efficacy. It prevents aggressive ones from biting through your clothing. You can also send your clothing in to them to treat which is really cool!

I’ve heard great things about the Bug Bite Thing. We use the heat pen ones and swear by those. It stops the itching and any swelling from progressing. It essentially denatures the proteins in mosquito saliva or whatever that we are allergic to so there’s no more antihistamine reaction.

The major thing to be aware of for DEET is if you have a lot of synthetic technical clothing (polyester, etc.) it can and will melt it and plastic bags if it leaks.

Thank you for the great info! I just ordered two of the Bug Bite Things.
When in the Caribbean I usually bring several of the 50 packs of DEET wipes and I ask my doctor to give me a script for Fluocinonide, which is applied on the bite and helps make it go away sooner. Usually use it for no see ums and sand fleas but works ok for mosquito bites.
I will check out the treated clothing and the mosquito kit is a great idea!

I have been to this area many times and did 14 days land based. I did not take anti-malarial. 20% picaridin (Proven Insect Repellent lotion is my favorite.) I also use a rechargeable Thermacell device. No bites and I have O type blood so statistically am more attractive to them, will get bitten during the day and when no one else gets bitten, and suffer from skeeter syndrome (am very allergic).
I ordered the Thermacell EX90, great idea, thanks! Should keep the room mosquito free at night.

Back
Top Bottom