Question Help with deciding a land based dive resort in Raja Ampat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtFish

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am trying to decide on a land based dive op for February 2025 in Raja Ampat, for 14 days. Our priorities are great diving, good food, (we are both vegetarians), comfortable room and on the water setting.
I have contacted Sorido Bay Resort, but for 14 days the cost is about 13k. This has been at the top of our bucket list for a long time and I don't want to be a cheapskate, but are there other less expensive resorts that are favorites of yours?
Please share your opinions! And land based only please. Thank You ๐Ÿ™

Reactions: CWK
I just returned from a 10-night stay in November at Sorido as a solo traveler, and this was my first trip to RA. The resort came highly recommended from Bluewater Dive Travel, who helped me arrange my trip. Sorido meets your check boxes and they are very friendly to any dietary needs or food allergies. I found the food to be excellent. All 7 bungalows are on the water. I really loved it there and am planning a trip to go back.

The price of $13K sounds like the unlimited diving package. If you go with the exploration package, there is no diving included, so pricing is ala carte diving per tank. The more tanks you dive, the price goes down. This is what I did, which worked out perfectly, because I wasn't under self-imposed pressure to get my money's worth with the unlimited diving. The price differential for me was $1300, and I spent $950 for ala carte diving. I don't see the 2025 rates on their website yet, but there is a significant price increase from 2023 to 2024, like 300-800 Euros, depending on the package, so it might have increased even more for 2025.

If you're wanting 4 dives per day, the fourth being a night dive, which is their max, you might benefit from the unlimited. Keep in mind, there is no diving from Friday afternoon to Saturday night for religious reasons. For a 10-day stay, you will miss two dives on Friday (3rd p.m. and night dive) and two Saturdays (3 dives). Only a night dive is offered for Saturday. You'll still get meals served, but there is also no housekeeping and no laundry or massage services. This is one aspect of my stay that didn't suit me. In the hospitality industry, service should be seamless regardless of religion. There are also excursions offered that don't include diving.

The location on Kri Island is perfect for diving in the Dampier Strait and just around the corner from Cape Kri. This was a bucket list trip for me, too, and I'm so glad I splurged a little because it was awesome!

Raja Ampat Dive Lodge (RADL) is another place to check and their prices are a bit lower. It looks like it's not as nice as Sorido, but they're located a short distance from Sorido, so you'll have the same access to the great sites in the Dampier Strait. Bluewater Dive Travel is running a DEMA special for RADL for bookings through 12/31/23.

Lots of other options. Sorido Bay Resort is one of the most expensive. Advise peruse this website, identify the Island you want to stay, filter your necessities.

I went for 14 days to Papua Explorers and had an amazing time. It checks all of your requirements, maybe except for the cost. It is less than what you quoted for 2 people for 2 weeks but it is still up there. Papua Explorers does dive 7 days a week whereas some resorts break for 1 day on the weekend. You can do up to 4 dives a day with 1 of them being on the house reef as a night dive.

Other places I have heard good things about from friends and people I've met are Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, Papua Divers.

You can also look at homestays but YMMV. Understand what you are getting and what you are not getting and ask lots of questions before you commit. Homestays in RA are not the same as homestays in other areas of Indonesia and some are extremely basic.

I just returned from a 10-night stay in November at Sorido as a solo traveler, and this was my first trip to RA. The resort came highly recommended from Bluewater Dive Travel, who helped me arrange my trip. Sorido meets your check boxes and they are very friendly to any dietary needs or food allergies. I found the food to be excellent. All 7 bungalows are on the water. I really loved it there and am planning a trip to go back.

The price of $13K sounds like the unlimited diving package. If you go with the exploration package, there is no diving included, so pricing is ala carte diving per tank. The more tanks you dive, the price goes down. This is what I did, which worked out perfectly, because I wasn't under self-imposed pressure to get my money's worth with the unlimited diving. The price differential for me was $1300, and I spent $950 for ala carte diving. I don't see the 2025 rates on their website yet, but there is a significant price increase from 2023 to 2024, like 300-800 Euros, depending on the package, so it might have increased even more for 2025.

If you're wanting 4 dives per day, the fourth being a night dive, which is their max, you might benefit from the unlimited. Keep in mind, there is no diving from Friday afternoon to Saturday night for religious reasons. For a 10-day stay, you will miss two dives on Friday (3rd p.m. and night dive) and two Saturdays (3 dives). Only a night dive is offered for Saturday. You'll still get meals served, but there is also no housekeeping and no laundry or massage services. This is one aspect of my stay that didn't suit me. In the hospitality industry, service should be seamless regardless of religion. There are also excursions offered that don't include diving.

The location on Kri Island is perfect for diving in the Dampier Strait and just around the corner from Cape Kri. This was a bucket list trip for me, too, and I'm so glad I splurged a little because it was awesome!

Raja Ampat Dive Lodge (RADL) is another place to check and their prices are a bit lower. It looks like it's not as nice as Sorido, but they're located a short distance from Sorido, so you'll have the same access to the great sites in the Dampier Strait. Bluewater Dive Travel is running a DEMA special for RADL for bookings through 12/31/23.
I read your great trip report and got lots of insight from it. Sorido cost quote was 10k for 14 days, 2 people, exploration package and I figured on 30 dives each x $50= $3,000. That's where I got the 13k.
I will check out RADL. Thank You!
Lots of other options. Sorido Bay Resort is one of the most expensive. Advise peruse this website, identify the Island you want to stay, filter your necessities.

Thank you! I will check it out.
I went for 14 days to Papua Explorers and had an amazing time. It checks all of your requirements, maybe except for the cost. It is less than what you quoted for 2 people for 2 weeks but it is still up there. Papua Explorers does dive 7 days a week whereas some resorts break for 1 day on the weekend. You can do up to 4 dives a day with 1 of them being on the house reef as a night dive.

Other places I have heard good things about from friends and people I've met are Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, Papua Divers.

You can also look at homestays but YMMV. Understand what you are getting and what you are not getting and ask lots of questions before you commit. Homestays in RA are not the same as homestays in other areas of Indonesia and some are extremely basic.
Thank you!
I originally tried Papua Explorers but they were already booked thru 2025 and some of 2026? I will check out RA Dive Lodge.

I read your great trip report and got lots of insight from it. Sorido cost quote was 10k for 14 days, 2 people, exploration package and I figured on 30 dives each x $50= $3,000. That's where I got the 13k.
I will check out RADL. Thank You!

Thank you! I will check it out.

Thank you!
I originally tried Papua Explorers but they were already booked thru 2025 and some of 2026? I will check out RA Dive Lodge.
Don't forget Papua Divers - it is a separate company/resort from Papua Explorers! :) Keep us posted on what you decide and find. :)

Have any of you been to Cove Eco Resort? Looks like they are closer to Fam Island and Gam Island?

Have any of you been to Cove Eco Resort? Looks like they are closer to Fam Island and Gam Island?
Yes.
And I posted a report about it recently.

If air conditioning, electricity and plumbing are important to you, this will eliminate a lot of places in RA. I need all three, so my choices are nicely narrowed. I forgot to mention that Sorido Bay's sister resort nearby is Kri Eco Resort. The pricing is substantially lower but no A/C and more primitive conditions.

Yes.
And I posted a report about it recently.
Found it! Great report! Sounds like you had a good time there. Would you go back?
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom