Broken clavicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for letting us know that it went well! Again fingers crossed for a smooth, speedy recovery!

Surprisingly enough, even standing with heavy doubles and other gear on, you won't feel any pain the the repaired clavicle when you are back diving. I could have had the plate taken out, but I don't feel any reason to.

By the way, Lynn Flaherty (TS&M) had the same injury, and she had no trouble with it, either.

Quick update for those following along regarding my progress.

Just got back from my first post-op follow-up with the surgeon. Incision is healing up very well and the break looks great on x-ray. He has given me some mobility exercises to begin now and has cleared me to start PT. I'm still under a lifting limitation with that arm, but I am now allowed to get back to my cardio exercise routine and to begin working on getting my left shoulder mobility back.

The left shoulder is feeling great! I'm looking forward to starting PT.

If all continues at this pace, I should be fully cleared for all activity by early November!

Sure glad to hear that you're on the mend! Thanks for the update.

Passing along another update on my recovery from my broken clavicle.

The incision continues to heal up very well. At about 4 weeks post-surgery, the incision seemed to enter a different phase of healing. Up until that point, the incision itself was pretty much numb but I had a great deal of sensitivity and discomfort to any pressure all around the incision (above, below, beside). I also had intermittent shooting nerve pain down my left pectoral as the incision and nerves healed. All of that began to subside significantly at the 4 week point. The process of forming a scar is progressing well. At this point I have much less sensitivity and discomfort to touch or pressure. It seems to feel better with each day of healing.

Physical Therapy (PT) is going very well. My mobility and strength are returning faster than I had anticipated. Beginning next week (week 6 post-surgery) they will be able to begin a bit more aggressive PT in terms of using bands and light weights instead of just isometrics.

I've been able to get in quality cardio exercise 5-6 days a week (walking & stationary bike). My cardiovascular fitness is coming back, and I should be close to 100% of where I was before my accident by the end of the month.

I'm highly optimistic I will be fully cleared by the end of October. I have my next dives planned for 4 weeks from this weekend ... Nov 10-12 (my birthday weekend!). I'm cautiously optimistic I will be able to keep those plans and get back to blowing bubbles regularly!!!

... I have my next dives planned for 4 weeks from this weekend ... Nov 10-12 (my birthday weekend!).
Will you be able to climb a ladder or just shore dives? Good to hear the progress!

Will you be able to climb a ladder or just shore dives? Good to hear the progress!

Once cleared I will be able to climb a ladder without issue. I feel strong enough that I could do that now except that I'm still under limitations for what I'm allowed to do with the left arm. The bone should be fully healed at about 6 weeks which is next Thursday. I see the surgeon again on 10/23 and he was optimistic that he would be able to remove all of my limitations at that time. Fingers crossed!

if it can help: cycling accident too, in June 2022. Broke left clavicle, had a metal plate (12cm + 6 screws) on top of it. Right clavicle severe AC disjunction (stage 5 on rockwood scale). Tight rope surgery 3 months later. Took 6 months post 2nd surgery to dive again (in Egypt where people help you a lot with carrying gear). Now better, but feelign the heavy weight of the scuba geer on the shoulders. But not planning to remove the plate any time soon :)
good luck with your recovery

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom