Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yomafacio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys. I will be heading to Hawaii later this summer and thus will need some sort of thermal protection. The last week I've been mostly looking at 3mm or 3/2mm wetsuits. However, today I read that lavacore dive skins are equivalent in thermal protection as a 3mm wetsuit. Do you think I would be fine in a Trilaminate Polytherm (lavacore)? I am pretty cold tolerant if that matters.

I just checked Hawaii water temps, and they appear to be in the 80's. Someone with real knowledge correct me if I'm wrong.

If that is right I would just dive a rash-guard based on the fact you said you are cold water tolerant. I am also, and that is what I dive for dives as long as an hour in those water temps.

Maui? Now or later this summer - I'd be in a t-shirt. My skinny buddy probably a 3mil shortie - it's about all they rent there.I've even done that on shallower dives as late as October but it's too cold deeper. (or it seems so...)

Maui Exposure Protection?

For summer temps in Hawaii lavacore should be fine if you are not cold natured. They are more like a 2 mm.

I dove a 3mm shorty in May and I was uncomfortable on my second dive of the day and was shivering on the boat even in 85 F air. The water was 77F at the bottom (60 ft). I'm guessing the water has warmed up since then.

Note: Since we all have different tolerances to the cold: I usually dive lakes in Minnesota and usually wear a 2-piece 5 mm wetsuit (I'm sure it was a 7 mm at one point, but when I bought it used, the neoprene was pretty compressed). I usually stay above the thermocline where it's between 65 - 70 F.

Last edited:
I have been researching Hawaii water temperatures for an upcoming trip and found these two web sites. I believe the water temperature in Hawaii typically peaks in September. We just go back from Bonaire and the seatemperature.info site was spot on.

Scuba Diving Conditions from South Maui Hawaii

Sea water temperature Kailua Kona, HI today, yesterday and tomorrow. Kailua Kona Kailua-Kona sea surface temperature now. Kailua Kona average monthly sea temperatures. North America Hawaii United States.

I was diving in Maui early June. The water temp was 78. I had a 3mm full, and it was perfect. I had a Lavacore top+bottom but didn't use them, but I wish I had them on instead of just a swimsuit while snorkeling in the shallows off the beach.

The dive operator's rental gear was 3mm shorties. Some were OK with that, but I noticed that a lot of people were cold (cumulative effect of multiple dives, breezy surface intervals, the water temperature and personal biology). I think shorties are just cheaper and easier for tourists to manage.

I'm no expert, but my observation is that if it's warm enough for a shortie, it's cool enough for a full 3mm, but the reverse isn't so true. A 3mm is a widely useful tool, provides better protection from stings and scrapes, and you can always let some cool water into a full, if needed. I haven't yet used my Lavacore gear enough to have a firm opinion, but my sense is that it's in the same category as a shortie - whenever it's warm enough for a Lavacore, it's cool enough for a 3mm full. I think the Lavacore (or Sharkskin or Frogskin brands...) has more utility as a layer under a 3mm. And then, if you already have it, you can use it for protection or a little bit of warmth instead of just a swimsuit, but I don't buy the marketing language that it's almost as good as a full 3mm.

The 3mm full is the Swiss army knife of warm-ish water diving. My suggestion is to get one of those first.

Only you really know what your cold tolerance is. Thus, rather than asking other people what to wear, you would be best to focus on finding out what temps to expect and then decide for yourself what you need to wear. Find out, if you can, about bottom temps, not just surface water temps. My local quarry is about 90 on the surface right now - and 43 at 80 feet.

When I dived Maui, the rental suits they issued were 5mm.

When I dived the Big Island, almost all the divemasters wore 7mm.

On the BI and on Oahu, I wore a 3/2 and was very comfortable.

If you only dive 1 or 2 dives per day and you don't dive every day a 3mm shortie might be enough. If you dive 2 or more dives per day and dive every day for 3 or 4 or more days in row, a 5mm might not be warm enough. If you do 45 minute dives to 40 feet, one thing might be warm enough. If you do 1+ hour dives to 80 feet, the same thing might not be warm enough. The water will probably be cooler when you go deeper, plus your wetsuit gets thinner as you go deeper.

When my Lavacore gets wet, it goes from very snug to a little baggy, just in some spots. I don't like swimming it with nothing at all over it. So, I only ever use it as a layer underneath a wetsuit.

I highly doubt you will ever feel TOO warm while diving in a 3 or 3/2 full suit (in Hawaii).

I feel like you should select exposure gear based on "what is the warmest without being too warm" versus "what is the thinnest I can go without being too cold". Getting cold sucks AND it contributes to the possibility of getting bent.

Like @stuartv notes above, the amount of diving you do makes all the difference. If you dive several times daily for several days in a row, you can lose a little more core temp each time you go and may be feeling uncomfortable by the end of the week when you started out just fine.

If you get into it and discover that you underestimated your need for thermal protection, do everything you can to rebuild core temp between dives to try to keep from falling further behind the curve than necessary. That won't necessarily mean baking in the sun between dives, surprisingly. You'd be surprised how much heat tropical breezes can waft away from you under the right circumstances. From a core temp preservation standpoint, it's sometimes better to stay indoors out of the breeze, wearing lots of fleece and drinking warm beverages.

Yeah, this is the voice of experience. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom